Subaru WRX Forum banner

Weird alignment for all wheel drive cars?

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Is it true that with awd drive cars that one wheel is pushed inside the wheel well more than the other wheels? I asked a local mechanic and he said that this is common with awd cars. When i have a couple ppl in the car and make a right car it rubs bad will an alignment fix this? Any input will be appreciated thanks in advance

#2 ·
No, the alignment should be identical left to right. As for why right turns might cause rubbing, you'd have to list your specific wheel size, offset, and tire size. The weight of the car isn't symmetrical, but neither should the tire be close to rubbing. More info needed.

#4 ·
you didn't list your offset and your suspension. Also, if it's a wagon or a sedan. I'll assume the answers are +48, stock, sedan: Check the struts. They might be shot, particularly in the corner where you're rubbing. The "rubbing" might just be your suspension bouncing off the limit. Bad alignment can cause many problems but assuming the wheels are on relatively straight, 225 wide tires at a reasonable offset shouldn't cause rubbing

But if the answers are <48, the suspension has some lowering springs, or the car's a wagon, you have other problems not related to the alignment.

#5 ·
This might be a stupid question, but do you have hub-centric rings with your wheels? If you do, when you do wheel/tire rotations front to back, do you always check to make sure the rings come off with the wheels instead of sticking to the hubs? It's possible one could have doubled up... just a thought.

#7 ·
If you're considering stock STi BBS wheels, the only ones that will fit the WRX are those from 2004 models since they share the same 5x100 bolt pattern. Even though they look the same, 2005+ STi wheels have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and won't fit any year WRX. Just something to keep in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.