Subaru WRX Forum banner

tire swap

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
question--

when I had the dealer swap out the stock tires for winters last winter they gave me back the stock with warning stickers over the lug nut holes that said something like they cant just be put back on and that I need some sort of one-time use bracket that cracks when its removed (in other words I need to bring the tires back to them and cant just swap them back on myself whenever I want).

is this true, or is this a complete lie in an effort to get me back to the dealer and not swap my own tires? I've never heard of something like that before.:confused:

tia
pete

#11 ·
Oohhhhhh...didn't even think they may have been talking about center rings.

I've yet to take my wheels off the see if the Rex is actually equipped with them. But basically all that's saying is to make sure you take the center ring off if you install diff wheels or your spare tire. Most aftermarket wheels will come with ones sized accordingly for the new wheels, but OE can sometimes be used on aftermarket wheels too. Def not with any spare though!

The center rings slide right off the face of the hub. They also sometimes get stuck inside the center bore or "center cap" area too so make sure of where they are when installing/removing stuff. You wouldn't want one to be stuck in a wheel and put that wheel on a diff position where there's still one on the hub cause then you'd be without one here and doubled up there lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
Are these stock wheels? In which case they shouldn't be using rings.

Regardless, centering rings are re-usable. They just have to be kept track of with that set of wheels and certainly nothing that requires a dealership to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.