Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tire Life

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Thor58 
#1 ·
Greetings forum members! Thinking about purchasing a 2013 WRX and was wondering what kind of mileage I can expect out of a set of tires. I had a S2000 where I saw 10k on the rear and 15k on the front. Rear tires were about $500 and was going through 2 sets per year.

Any input would be very much appreciated before I bought the car!

-Thanks!

#2 ·
I just got out of an '09 STi lease and I got 2 seasons from the summer performance radials, for day-to-day street use and the occasional lapping day or Autocross event.

At 24,000 km per year and 8,000 of that on winter tires, I'd estimate the life to be 16,000 km x 2 years, or 32,000 km.

WRX tires aren't as sticky but have better wear rating, so you'd get even better life with them than I did in the STi. Better than 32,000 km.

If tires seem to be wearing out prematurely, I'd check the wheel alignment. If you're pushing the car hard at events, I'd make that a performance alignment. Same price, more suitable for pushing the car hard. My STi had mild camber; -1.5 deg on the front and -1.2 deg on the rear and I was running Bridgestone Potenza RE760s.

#5 ·
Agreed! Selling and installing tires is all I've ever done. But to put it as simply as possible... Every tire has different compounding or 'ingredients' if you will to make it perform to certain criteria the manufacturer is trying to achieve. Whether its a for traction, fuel economy, mileage, or etc all tires have a purpose and not built the same by any means... although people seem to buy them that way lol! All of the above tires will wear at different rates due to its compound. When it comes to the OE sneakers on the Rex they're Dunlop SP01's though, which is a pretty lousy UHP tire coming in with only a 280AA tread rating. I expect to get about 25k-30k tops outta mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Thanks! With the S2000, aggressive tire wear is a known characteristic of the car due to the alignment and soft tire compound. I wanted to determine if there was a similar issue with the WRX before I bought the car.

Thank you for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.