Time to replace stock springs/struts - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Miller06WRXGoon is an unknown
Time to replace stock springs/struts

Hello, I've got an '06 WRX wagon, with 98K miles. I've owned the car for 5 years, everything is stock (I've been waiting for the warranty to run out). I noticed yesterday that the rear is sagging. I think driving the Alaska highway with the car loaded down, killed my rear springs. I figure I should just replace all four corners.

I like the stock setup. I need the stock ride height for the winters up here, plus my wife drives the car a lot. I know the handling could be better, but we take the car on long trips and we don't want to feel every bump, any more than we already do.

I called the dealership.... "Wow, Really How Much!?"

I've been researching for a couple hours now and I haven't been able to really find what I'm looking for.

All of the threads on any of the Forums I've searched are about what setups to use when lowering or looking for better handling.

Any advice for a stock, or slightly more aggressive stock setup as far as spring/struts go?

As for Struts, I've seen Monroe (not my favorite), KYB GR2, Tokico Blue....

Springs....?

I just have no clue what's best.

And, some of the parts supplies don't seem to have a listing for my applications.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle

.... I just checked out SubaruPartsAmerica.com they seem to have pretty good OEM prices. Any thoughts though on stock versus slightly more aggressive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Koni Makes wonderful shocks.

If you are willing to modify your current strut housings (Way less difficult then it may sound) then they have great adjustable inserts for you. They ride like stock when set soft and really make the car come alive when stiffened up slightly.

They will also have no affect on ride height, so if you need your car fairly high to traverse rocky roads you can still retain your ground clearance.

You can check out more details on our site here: Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable Shocks 12 11 10 09 08 07 Subaru Impreza

We also carry KYB and other brands. If you are interested in something that you don't see on our site, just let me know and I can get you more information.

As for the springs, most options that you can find will lower the vehicle slightly. The Eibach Pro-Kit that we carry is one of the more popular options, and will lower your car about an inch. Ride quality of the Eibach springs is very good, with a slight increase in stiffness vs stock.

Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 Subaru Impreza

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#3 Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Whatever you get, you're gonna need new top hats.

The normal recommendation is Tokico D-Specs but they are on a 'no ETA' backorder. I'm not a fan of GR-2s since they raised the front end of my car.

For springs, I recommend Mach V Blues. They are direct copies of the discontinued Prodrive Blues.
#4 Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Miller06WRXGoon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Whatever you get, you're gonna need new top hats.

The normal recommendation is Tokico D-Specs but they are on a 'no ETA' backorder. I'm not a fan of GR-2s since they raised the front end of my car.

For springs, I recommend Mach V Blues. They are direct copies of the discontinued Prodrive Blues.
Thanks.

I see a lot of guys like the Prodrive Blues. What's the benefit? or, What characteristics do they offer?

Never mind, I found the site for Mach V. Originally I didn't want to lower the car, but they do sound nice. And a good price too.