Thoughts on size, 17 or 18 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
Thoughts on size, 17 or 18

So I have the opportunity to get some used rims, 18 Rota Grids, not my first choice (Rota Torques) but for 600 for the set its hard to pass up when if I wait for the Torques it would be 1600 for rims and tires when done.

My question is that I have read that for a dd you would want to stay at 17's. I am fine with that, I don't have a rim size complex. But these rims are 18's. People say that 18's will ride rough, what does that mean? Every time I hit a bump it will feel like a stone hits my butt? Or that I will bounce all over the road if I hit a pot hole?

Also, I have a 05 WRB wrx, would the gold grids that are 5x100 +48 work on my car? I put the details in there about the color just in case anyone wants to weigh in about the color combination.

Any thoughts on fitment, ridability or any of the other things I question would be a great help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
They would probably look alrite. Just realize that 18" tires are more expensive than 17" tires. And the reason that 18s may ride rougher than 17s are there is less rubber there to cusion the bump/imperfection in the road.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX--Russ is an unknown
If you have stock suspension and they fit in without catching anywhere I would go with the 18's.

Ride is a bit harder but really not all that much different from the 17's. I had to re-do my cars suspension and harden everything up to get the 18's to fit in the arch without catching anywhere and I'd do it again...

You going for Semi Slicks or road tyres?
#4 Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
Regular tires, more specific all-seasons (yes I know all-seasons suck. I dont have space to change tires 2 a year, this is my daily, and my wife has to drive this as well and all seasons are just fine) I will check with the guy that I am buying them from because he had them on an 02 wrx, I will check if he stiffened up his suspension. Thanks for more insight on what the rough ride means.
#5 Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm in your shoes, Deli B. I chose to get All Seasons too when it was time to replace my stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s. I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses and I noticed a huge improvement in wet/snow traction - no more hydroplaning (although that was probably mostly due to an increase in tread depth, but nonetheless..) . Dry traction remained about the same (I can't really comment here because I haven't pushed the car to its limits as it's my daily driver too) and road noise and ride comfort are both great. I have a feeling they'll wear slightly faster, but that's because they're an Ultra High Performance All Season tire and probably slightly softer/stickier than the stock Potenzas. I also like the tread pattern, but that probably should be a deciding factor Anyway, if you're looking for a great tire, that one definitely fits the bill. Bridgestone Pole Positions are also pretty good, from what I've heard.

I think the gold on blue combo is great. Be sure to post a pic or two when you get everything set up.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)