Subaru WRX Forum banner

Swapped off my snows... massive tire noise from summers

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 · (Edited)
first off. Hello! new to these fourms. recently aquired a stock 2002 wrx. couldnt be happier with it :)

took off my snow tires this week. i have stock 16" oe rims with Wanli S-1088 summer tires (205/55/16) and theres seems to be MASSIVE tire noise coming from the rear and it seems i have too much negative camber. i dont have a tool to measure or anything but it looks like alot. specs say stock camber is ~1.3 degress and it looks alot more than that. im going to put it on a lift and run it to make sure its not my diff or anything. but im certain the tire noise is coming from running on the inside edge of the rubber.

could i have done something stupid im overlooking to cause extra negative camber? the snows didnt make noise like this on dry pavement and they have twice the tread. i mean its a simple tire change i have done hundreds of times (but first one on this car)

thanks,
titter

*update*

problem solved. was a combination of tire pressure/balance/alignment. every one made the noise a little quieter till i can barely hear it now

See less See more
#3 ·
How did you store your summers?

Negative camber shouldnt cause tires to be noisy, in most cases a winter tire with more aggressive stiping would be noisier than a summer tire. Could be your summer tire gone bad, flat spots maybe. Ive seen tires that were stored under low pressure develop flat spots but you shouldn't have that issue if you stored them at 25-30PSI for 6 months. Usually you can feel flat spts though.

Might be worth it to take them to a tire shop and have them put on the balancer, That way you can have them checked to make sure they are not out of true.

Im sorry I cant be more help.

#4 ·
yea took me a while to find out the problem. forgot to mention i bought the car with snow tires on it. the OE rimes with Wanli tires were from a trusted friend i bought afterwards. pretty much just paid for the rims and he left on the tires for me as they still had decent tread.

rotating helped the noise a bit, forgot to read the marking before i mounted them the first time. then i had them at 38psi all round which should be 33front/29 rear. that seemed a little for for the cheap tires so im at 35/31 and its pretty nice. then a balance and alignment reduced the noise further. its still there but compared to the start it about 70% quieter now.

good to know feedback about Wanli tires. i didnt expect them to perform very well, but knowing they are actually noisy is good info, ty clamer!

and arctic, i didnt know that about storing tires so ty aswell! they were at like 10-15psi all 4 and im pretty sure they were in storage for alot longer than 6 months.

#5 ·
and arctic, i didnt know that about storing tires so ty aswell! they were at like 10-15psi all 4 and im pretty sure they were in storage for alot longer than 6 months.
Glad they are working for you. Thats something you see if you spend more than a summer in a shop, The pile of crappy tires sitting there starting to warp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.