Struts/Suspension - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pbarrd is an unknown
Garage
Struts/Suspension

So I'm trying to start building up my suspension game on my 02 wrx wagon and I'm not really sure where to start. Right now i've got completely OEM suspension and i've heard to go after struts or strut bars first, i have no interest in lowering my vehicle but I guess I'm just looking to get some opinions on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Assuming your OEM struts are OK i would start with anti-sway bars. they will tighten the body roll and increase maximum cornering speed, After that i might look into a stiffer spring set with new struts. Strut bars are inexpensive but they do more for the looks under the hood than performance, especially if everything else is stock.

on a 12 year old car your stock struts are probably pretty worn out so I would start by checking them first, If they need replacing i would do a performance strut rather than a coilover kit. your choice of OEM height springs will be a bit limited but there are a few performance companies that sell springs to match their struts, for OEM ride height with some performance adjust ability KYB makes some really cool struts.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Since it's a wagon a rear strut bar stands to make a difference. The front won't. Sway bars are what make the big difference though.

As pointed out though, if you're still on the original struts, they are long since past their lifespan. You should look into replacing those soon as it will make an immense difference in ride, handling, and braking.
#4 Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pbarrd is an unknown
Garage
Great thanks.

Now as far as Struts go do you guys know about the KYB AGX adjustable Struts? Like are they a good buy/ good product for the money?
#5 Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarrd View Post
Great thanks.

Now as far as Struts go do you guys know about the KYB AGX adjustable Struts? Like are they a good buy/ good product for the money?
Ive installed them in clients cars in the past and I haven't had any poor feedback. Replacing a worn out strut with a new OE strut will make you "feel" and huge difference. Most of the struts/springs I've installed were for the purpose of lowering (or raising in one case) and adding some level of variability.

KYB AGX struts are really easy to adjust but they dont have "too many" adjustment points. The only issue ive found is that you need tiny hands and flexable joints to reach the adjustment knobs behind the tires. As far a bang for your buck if you can get them for a hundred bucks each your only a few dollars over the price of OEM parts.

If you have money to invest in your ride i would definitly look into swaybars and endlinks as well, the combination of new struts/springs and swaybars will make your car feel likie a different animal.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#6 Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

pbarrd is an unknown
Garage
wow yea That would be great unfortunately I'm on a budget but someday down the road I'll be there hopefully.!!