struts, springs and new wheels - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
struts, springs and new wheels

im looking into getting new struts this spring because my rear struts are begining to leak ans so are my fronts. so when im already taking them out i was looking into lowering my vehicle with a set of springs and new stuts nothing crazy to just get rid of the wheel gap in the front. i was thinking 1.8in. in the front and 1.5in. in the rear. any help in a specfic brand of springs and struts at a resonable price would be great.

also, im looking into wheels and tires going with 17''s with 225/45r17 tire with lowering my vehicle that wont have any effect with the wheels fitting under the fender will it? any comments and suggestions will be helpfull thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Contact the guys at Turn In Concepts (TiC) and they should be able to give you several great options. They really know their stuff and offer great prices and parts.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
17x8" +48 wheels with 235/40R17 tires. Why? They're wide, the offset will keep the tire away from your fenders, and they're shorter so the gearing is improved.

an here's TiC's suspension stuff (note that none of them have a 1.8" front drop. You don't want that, it'll destroy your handling):
TiC Tok suspension package

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
thanks guys ill look into tic
#5 Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
i went to there website and saw a package for 620.00 that includes the tokico struts and strut spacers but it doesnt tell me how much the car will be lowered with the three differnt springs they offer i just want to get an idea from anybody that has bought this package from tic. thanks
#6 Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Garage
The springs they sell are not designed by how much they drop your car, they're designed for performance. This is an important thing to accept because there are plenty of springs on the market designed first for drop, and then the springrate is computed to not be dangerous, regardless of the performance impacts (typical of springs in the droprate you mentioned above). Buying correctly designed springs, the drop will be a side effect of increased springrate. More springrate means they need less room to contract and thus the car sits lower. They sell multiple springs to go with the struts.
RCE Blacks: What I would recommend if you don't track the car. Rate is 285F/269R. Drop is 25mm front and 20 rear for a stock 02-05 wrx
RCE Yellows: Stiff, too much for the street. 295F/275R. Drop is 35mm front and 30 rear for a stock 02-05 wrx
Swift Spec-R's: Somewhat in between 285F/275R. Drop is 30mm front and 30 rear for a stock 02-05 wrx

And all three of those if used with your stock strut will render the strut completely useless. The tokio struts can handle a lot more than stock. FYI, your stock springrates are 163F/119R. The link above is actually an upgrade to the STi suspension, which has better struts that still can't handle that kind of rate. The Stock USDM 04 STi springrate is 188F/173R. I'm just trying to highlight how extreme those springrates are for you so if you say they're not low enough, you have some frame of reference.

#7 Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
thanks mosc i appricate all the help u have given me and ill look more into the tokio struts and the rce black springs
#8 Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
another question it offers camber plates is it nessecary to have those or can u just use regular strut mounts
#9 Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Garage
You can use the regular strut mounts. They sell the plates because the stock mounts effectively limit your camber to about -1.0

#10 Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
i priced out tic with new struts rce black springs and new tophats it was around $1400. thats a bit expensive i want the best for my car but is there anyway else i can get new struts and springs without affecting my performince and handling and lowering my car with a lower price range
#11 Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Garage
Used 04 sti struts and springs. Has to be that year, other years won't fit.

#12 Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
i was looking around for struts and found kyb struts all 4 for $370 and a set of h tech tein springs with 1.6in drop in the front ans 1.1 in the front. i know it would be a better idaa to go with the tic package but i wanna know if those struts will be able to handle the springrate of those springs.

also found wheels rota grids they are 17x9 with a +42 offset with 235/45/r17 tires will this cause any problems with the fenders thanks for any help and answers.
#13 Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Garage
Those struts won't fit on your car (they're for the 02-03), those springs are garbage (stock springrate, heavily lowered, worse than stock performance), the wheels don't have enough offset (your stock is +53, try to stay around there, at leaset +45 or more. If you want to push width, offset is even more important), the wheels are wide for that offset and would require substantial fender work especially on the horribly flabby tein springs, and the tire you picked is too tall (stay less than 25". 235/40R17 is good)

#14 Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
damn this is harder then i thought it would be do u have any other ideas of new struts and springs thats wouldent hurt my handling but at a resonable price. and ill keep looking for rims with more of an offset with a 17x7.5 or a 17x8 thanks
#15 Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Garage
17x7.5" won't cut it for 235/40R17, you need 17x8" or more. You should be able to find 17x8" Rota Grids if you like that wheel with a +48 offset. If you're on a budget, I'd tell you to be less picky about wheels and find some used 17x8" wheels on nasioc. There are a bunch.

Cheapest strut replacement is some used struts. 04-07 WRX struts will work, 04 STi struts would be an upgrade. Cheapest spring is to keep what you have. There's probably nothing wrong with your springs (though I wouldn't use d-spec struts with stock WRX springs. You need at least STi springs). I think the 04-07 WRX strut is the same as the Impreza strut, might be able to find some more used options including those. Double check that one though.

If you really want cheap springs (I'm having trouble seeing why), you shouldn't have much trouble finding 04-07 STi springs used. Used springs work fine, just watch for rust. Personally, I think even those are too much for stock WRX struts though but no worse than Tein H-tech or tanabe GF210s or similar. You won't die.