still debateing on rims for spring - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
still debateing on rims for spring

i have an 05 world rally blue wrx and im looking into rims im leading towards 17's but i found a pair of rota grids that are 18x8.5 witha 42 offset. my first question is should i stick with 17"s or look into the 18's and what color would look good on my car hyper black or a matte bronze. I like the color of the stock rims on my wrx im not sure what color there are but look more like a bronze btw i still have stock susupension on my car and looking to upgrade next winter to tokico d-spec struts and springs. any sugguestions on what color and size i should go with will help thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Generally, 18" tires cost more than 17" tires. If you damage one tire, you will need to replace all 4 (the tread depths must be within 1-2/32" of each other). Pot holes and road debris are more likely to damage an 18" wheel because there's less tire protecting it - how are the roads in your area and how much are you willing to spend on tires?

Choose a color that you think you will like. If you're just looking for an opinion, I would prefer to see matte bronze on WRB and I think too many people are going with hyper black these days - although that color does look pretty cool too. You could always paint or powdercoat them a different color if you don't like the first one you choose.

Regardless of that, sometimes deals on used wheels/tires are too good to pass up. Go with your gut and keep us posted.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
ya i live in rhode island so ya the roads are pretty shitty and going with a 235/40r18 might not be a good idea lol. ya im debating hyper black because i have tinted windows and i think that would look good ill keep looking and let u know what i'm thinking

Last edited by WRbluewrx; 04-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.
#4 Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
these are some rims i am debating
Attached Images

#5 Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRbluewrx View Post
ya i live in rhode island so ya the roads are pretty shitty and going with a 235/40r18 might not be a good idea lol. ya im debating hyper black because i have tinted windows and i think that would look good ill keep looking and let u know what i'm thinking
235/40R18 is also tall for your car. You're actually better off with a SMALLER overall tire since your car has a fairly rev happy EJ205 (less low end torque) and a very tall 5-speed. I generally recommend 235/40R17 which is a full inch shorter than the one you just suggested. The 18" equivalent would be a very pothole unfriendly 235/35R18.

I'd also recommend you try to get some more offset. Your stock offset is +53, try to stay as close as you can. At least +45, preferably +48 or more.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
I know when I had a honda back in HS (2000, damn im getting old), bigger rims significantly slowed my car down in the 1/4 mile, just a thought. With my '10 WRX I wanted purpose over looks so I stayed with the factory 17" size, but went with a much lighter wheel

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#7 Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
so i purchased my rims rota torque is bronze 17x8 with a +48 offset now for the tires i want to go with 235/40r17 is it possible to go with a 235/45r17 im a fan of bridgestone tires any suggestion for tires? thanks
#8 Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Garage
235/45R17 is too tall. It will fit under your fenders mattering on your suspension but you should really stay 25" or less on the tire, especially for the torque-less EJ205. It needs all the help down low it can get.

#9 Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
ok so ill look into going with 235/40r17 any suggstions with brands
#10 Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Q: Can you recommend some tires?

Well sure. This is my biased opinion but I'll recommend a cheaper tire and a nicer tire in each of the four classes. If you want a more impartial opinion, I suggest visiting Tire Rack's tire survey section. Not allowed to link you but go to tirerack dot com and select their tire surveys.

Anyway, here are some tires to consider:

All Season
Cheap: Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Nice: Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Winter
Cheap: Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Nice: Nokian WR

Summer (what most people here are looking for)
Cheap: General Exclaim UHP
Medium: BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2
Nice: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Max Performance
Cheap: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Nice: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
Wheel / Tire FAQ

#11 Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRbluewrx is an unknown
bad news somebody called me from wheeldude were i bought my rims and told me that the rota torque are out of stock thats sucks. i gould anothe website that have the rims same size the website is called lsd motorsports it has good reviews i just want to get word from anyone if they have ever heard of this website and if its legit. thanks