Subaru WRX Forum banner

Steering wheel/ alignment question

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  illestbryan 
#1 ·
I recently just replaced a part on my rack and pinion which required me to unhook the steering rod. After reinstall, I had to get an alignment on my car to get everything back lined up including the steering wheel. After two alignments, the steering wheel itself is off just a smedge but it's enough to be annoying when driving (when going straight, wheel is still barely barely tilted to the right). The shop along with the dealer says everything lines up right and they can't do anything about the steering wheel being off just a minimal amount. Is there anyway to manually adjust it to where I can center it completely? The car is a 2011 Wrx. No suspension mods.

#2 ·
You may have put the steering rod back in one spline off. If the alignment printout numbers show a 0.00 degree thrust angle and your steering angle is also 0.00, then the shop is technically correct. However, I would put the car on the alignment rack, get everything straight, then pull the steering wheel and move it one spline left. Its a little tricky but Its the only way to get it back dead center.
Or, take it to a different shop and have them look at it. A good alignment tech can adjust the front toe slightly to straighten the wheel. Ive done it, as long as the toe isnt off more than .02-.03 degrees itll be ok

#4 ·
So i found out neither shop took it for a drive after. They just pulled it off the rack and gave me the keys. I will be talking with the shops tomorrow to see if they can drive it and try to fix it from there. They told me they highly doubt it since they don't want to move off factory specs and that's when I told them that obviously something is wrong since it's not center. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try moving the spline back or forward one and see if they fixed it. Is there any way to measure at home the amount to turn the toe bolt the approate amount to fix it, worse case? Thank you guys for your responses and helping me fix this matter. I really appreciate it.

#6 ·
Yeah definitly not the correct option to solve the problem but it would cure the symptom of a crooked wheel. Its like cutting off a toe because you broke a toe on the other foot and your walking in circles. .02-03 degrees is almost nothing but you will definitely feel that on switchback corners. Thats how you make a car favor one side.

#8 ·
- Thats why I like you, honest to a fault. I probably wouldnt do that to a customers car but Ive driven some cars with pretty unsafe suspension in my younger years. Worst Idea ever was sweapping out struts for galvanized steel pipes because (harder suspension is better so rigid steel suspension must be the best! ) on the old lancer that was the worst idea Ive ever had : )

#9 ·
Thank you guys for your help. Took it too a buddy who has a buddy that specializes in custom alignments and he was able to see where it was at and adjust the toe a little to where it needed to be. The rest was fine. Steering wheel is fixed along with the alignment is perfect. Thank you guy again for all your help. I really do appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.