Squeaky Driver's Side Front Wheel/Tire/Brake - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RaineMan is an unknown
Question Squeaky Driver's Side Front Wheel/Tire/Brake

Hey all.

I just test drove a 2002 WRX here in Charlotte. Nice car that had obviously been modded and then de-modded before trade in.

When driving there was some kind of horrible squeaking noise coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It sounded like maybe the brake pad was dragging a little on the rotor or something... high pitched and almost constant.

The salesman gave me the usual "we had it 100-point insptected" line. Apparently the inspection did not include a test drive, as the noise was present as soon as we pulled off the lot. I told him to have the shop look it over again, and call me if they fixed the problem. The car has 70,xxx miles on it.

Other than the darn noise I really like the car overall. The engine ran smoothly and pulled hard, the clutch and shifter felt nice. I'm suspecting an after-market clutch because the pedal was super stiff.

Do you guys have any idea what the noise up front could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Did it get worse when you hit the brakes? I wouldn't buy it unless they agree to fix it if you ask me. Those are pretty low miles for an '02. It does have the weakest tranny of all cars but it will take care of you if you take care of it.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RaineMan is an unknown
The noise really didn't have much to do with the brakes at all. It started after I put the brakes on for the first time, and the noise got worse the longer we drove the car.

I'm definately not buying the car unless the dealer straightens that noise out and comes off the price by a few grand. That and I want to see if they will let me take it to the Subaru dealer down the street for an inspection before I sign papers.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
The noise really didn't have much to do with the brakes at all. It started after I put the brakes on for the first time,
That makes no sense to me. You said it started after you hit the brakes but it doesnt have to do with the brakes at all?

My guess would be brake pads.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty