SILVER ON WHAT COLOR RIMS? need help. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

13subaruwrx is an unknown
SILVER ON WHAT COLOR RIMS? need help.

I just bought a 2013 subaru wrx sedan and put almost 1000 miles. I want to get some rims now and some coilovers.

I am so confused on what color to buy... White? Silver? Hyper black? Gunmetal?
Help please! Lol. What do you think?

Looking for maybe rota grids. 18x9.5 with 245/40/18 or 255/40/18

whats your opinion?

Any pics with silver sedan?

Thank you!

Btw! This is my first subaru coming from a e46 m3. I love this car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have you looked at Anthracite or Anthracite graphite?

Will a 18x9.5 fit?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
SILVER ON WHAT COLOR RIMS? need help.

With an aggressive offset a 9.5" should fit. Def looking at a 40mm offset or more though I'd say. That'll be puting the wheels past the fenders OP just so you're aware. Not sure how much research you've done on width/offset to know what look you're going for with your offset, but hope this helps

But IMO black or gunmetal would be the way to go with silver! Anthracite would be sweet on silver as well if you can find em that color on something you like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan

Last edited by the RIOT act; 02-27-2013 at 04:53 PM.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
With an aggressive offset a 9.5" should fit. Def looking at a 40mm offset or more though I'd say. That'll be puting the wheels past the fenders OP just so you're aware. Not sure how much research you've done on width/offset to know what look you're going for with your offset, but hope this helps

But IMO black or gunmetal would be the way to go with silver! Anthracite would be sweet on silver as well if you can find em that color on something you like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

yes, i have been looking everywhere, and i cant seem to find a 11-13' wrx that looks somewhat fixed up. Maybe because its still so new? idk. but yes i seen that color rims on some cars.

have you ever seen one with WHITE rims? whats your opinion? too jdm? doing too much?

thanks for your opinion!
post #5 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Have you looked at Anthracite or Anthracite graphite?

Will a 18x9.5 fit?
yes i have seen them. and i am going with the 9.5 for sure but an offsett of around 34-40. not 100% sure. if theres a deal out there and the offset wouldnt matter. just looking for a nice clean setup.

but.... dont know what color -_-
post #6 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13subaruwrx View Post
yes i have seen them. and i am going with the 9.5 for sure but an offsett of around 34-40. not 100% sure. if theres a deal out there and the offset wouldnt matter. just looking for a nice clean setup.

but.... dont know what color -_-
That offset range is too low. You want as high of an offset as possible. Going too low is bad for performance and driving manners.

Any reason you feel you need 9.5" wide wheels and coilovers (what are you looking at?) on a street car that will never be in a position to take advantage of them?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I wouldn't go any wider than 8.5 on an offset around +48 (+44 MAYBE)

Fender pulls are out of my league but rolling isn't. If you want the Herra Frush look...more power to you, but you will lose most if not all of the handling of the car like Justin above stated.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
That offset range is too low. You want as high of an offset as possible. Going too low is bad for performance and driving manners.

Any reason you feel you need 9.5" wide wheels and coilovers (what are you looking at?) on a street car that will never be in a position to take advantage of them?
okay, i am planning on lowering it a little over an inch maybe more. and wouldn't want to have to put spacers because the rims aren't wide enough. with BC coilovers. used to have them on my m3. loved it.

i love that flush look. not where the wheel is all negative camber but just a nice clean setup with 1 finger gap.

so what do you recommend here as i am looking for that look?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I wouldn't go any wider than 8.5 on an offset around +48 (+44 MAYBE)

Fender pulls are out of my league but rolling isn't. If you want the Herra Frush look...more power to you, but you will lose most if not all of the handling of the car like Justin above stated.
yes. i hate to have to pull fenders. rolling is okay.

so what would you recommend so i am sitting nice with 1 finger gap without that outrageous negative camber?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13subaruwrx View Post
okay, i am planning on lowering it a little over an inch maybe more. and wouldn't want to have to put spacers because the rims aren't wide enough. with BC coilovers. used to have them on my m3. loved it.

i love that flush look. not where the wheel is all negative camber but just a nice clean setup with 1 finger gap.

so what do you recommend here as i am looking for that look?
The reason you want to keep the offset so high is because it's a critical part of your suspension geometry. The lower you go from what the car was engineered around the the more steering response you lose, the more you increase steering effort, tramlining, and wear and tear on various components due to added stress, and you lose tire contact patch (due to the weight distribution changes on the tire). The widest that ANY non-race Subaru needs is 8.5" wheels, and a +45 to +50 offset range is the most ideal. The flush setups you see are done at the expense of performance, and you don't need to be on a race track to notice the changes.

And I hate to bum on your choice, but BCs are bottom of the barrel garbage. They are a brands that survives purely on the basis of word of mouth and price point, rather than quality and results. They are oversprung, under damped, ride like crap, not very durable, and don't perform as well as coilovers should. BC does very little R&D/testing. They simply design a strut that fits on a certain application and throws random parts from a part bin on it. Their off-the-shelf coilovers are universally bad. They do offer custom valving and you can get custom spring rates, but that doesn't do you any good unless you can tell them what needs to be done. Suspension work is much more expensive on the newer Imprezas compared to the older chassis, and as such the starting prices of coilovers worth more than their weight in dirt is north of $2,000. Anything less is not worth the time. This is why I generally tell people that coilovers are a bad investment for street cars. You're paying all this money for a less reliable and higher maintenance suspension you will never fully be able to utilize without attending sanctioned racing events.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Ultimate wheel color on all cars: Aluminum.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Not on a silver car! Too monochromatic!
post #13 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The reason you want to keep the offset so high is because it's a critical part of your suspension geometry. The lower you go from what the car was engineered around the the more steering response you lose, the more you increase steering effort, tramlining, and wear and tear on various components due to added stress, and you lose tire contact patch (due to the weight distribution changes on the tire). The widest that ANY non-race Subaru needs is 8.5" wheels, and a +45 to +50 offset range is the most ideal. The flush setups you see are done at the expense of performance, and you don't need to be on a race track to notice the changes.

And I hate to bum on your choice, but BCs are bottom of the barrel garbage. They are a brands that survives purely on the basis of word of mouth and price point, rather than quality and results. They are oversprung, under damped, ride like crap, not very durable, and don't perform as well as coilovers should. BC does very little R&D/testing. They simply design a strut that fits on a certain application and throws random parts from a part bin on it. Their off-the-shelf coilovers are universally bad. They do offer custom valving and you can get custom spring rates, but that doesn't do you any good unless you can tell them what needs to be done. Suspension work is much more expensive on the newer Imprezas compared to the older chassis, and as such the starting prices of coilovers worth more than their weight in dirt is north of $2,000. Anything less is not worth the time. This is why I generally tell people that coilovers are a bad investment for street cars. You're paying all this money for a less reliable and higher maintenance suspension you will never fully be able to utilize without attending sanctioned racing events.
wow. you seem to have a lot of experience in subaru's. well now i know 8.5" would be the best for my car! and now i understand with all the offsets. was kind of confused for a moment. so with a 9" or 9.5" wheel wouldn't recommend even with high offsets? i am planning to buy the ROTA GRIDS. either in white, hyperblack, silver, or?

and BC's i didn't know any of that. everybody i know has been telling to me to buy BC for subaru because there known in there world. what coilovers do you recommend?

the reason im asking is because, i love working on cars, and its just a hobby. dont plan anytime soon to track my car. just for the love of the game!
post #14 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well, I saw saying that anything past 8.5" (which can fit as large as 255s) is redundant as nothing you will be doing on public roads will really take advantage of the extra rubber allowed by that width. It's an AWD Subaru, not a RWD Mustang where tire spin is an issue, and 255s offer more lateral grip for tossing around their heavy Subaru than you will be able to take advantage of on highway on/off-ramps. But technically speaking, a high offset 9-9.5" IS more ideal than the lower +22 to +38 offsets that are more common.

As I mentioned BC is known in the Subaru world, but only because of word of mouth conversations that amount to "sick stance bro, what coilovers? Oh, BC? I don't want to spend a lot of money and these will make my car look sweet!" However functional coilovers not only perform better, but often offer better ride quality than one would expect. I personally would prefer throwing springs on a street car, but if you can justify the cost of something actually worth getting, you can't go wrong with something like AST or KW. The price point thought is going to be over double that of BCs though. What was $1,500 on GD Imprezas is $2,500 on newer models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement