The Scooby Stealers are Crazy... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
The Scooby Stealers are Crazy...

So I need new front pads and have decided to just get new rotors as well. I've been looking a lot online and pretty much knew what I wanted, but decided to call Subaru and see how much it would be for OEM front pads and rotors. The guy in the parts department told me $1100. I immediately told him "no, I mean just front pads and rotors, not all four", his same reply was " yea, $1100 dollars". Out of curiosity I asked how much it would be for Subaru to do pads and rotors on all four, and he told me $3000. He also said those are for the drilled and slotted rotors with high performance pads. I explained that drilled and slotted rotors are not even what the car comes with and that alls I wanted was OEM. He said that is all they offer. I called another dealer and asked the same thing just to confirm this ludicrous quote. And guess what, it was confirmed!
What are these people smoking? I mean yes it's an STI, but not a Porsche. I mean, I know dealers over charge and I rarely go to um, but damn $3000 for a brake job! That is almost 3 clutches! Anywayz, I ordered some hps hawk street pads for $130 and rotors for $80 a piece, that are the exact spec of OEM.

Sorry, I don't mean to vent, I just couldn't believe they had the audacity to even give me such a quote. I was waiting for Ashton to hop on the phone and tell me I've been punk'd. Either way I guess I saved $2700

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

DRTiraPiedra is an unknown
Did you try online? You get a much better deal from some dealership out of area over their website. Your right dealers are as crooked as they come. No dealer is honest those that believe they got a good deal is because the dealership will rip off the next customer. If only I could buy directly from Subaru's manufacturing plant I would already have bought my 2011 WRX. Good luck with the brakes & rotors job. Just out of curiousity why are just the front pads in need of replacing?
#3 Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea I already have all the parts sitting in my garage right now, and plan on taking care of it this weekend.
That's a good question about why only the front brakes. I wondered myself. The rear pads still have plenty of meat left while the front don't. I even had my tires rotated recently and had a mechanic I trust check um, and he agreed. So I figure what is the point of doing the rear if they don't need it. I know there is more stopping power on the front, and much more weight transferred to the front while stopping.(if going forward) I know on sport bikes it is very noticeable, hence the dual disks on the front vs the single in the back.(Although, they are different animals, but same idea)

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#4 Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
just be thankful you don't have 5x100 front brakes in that size. brembo has an exclusive contract and aftermarket brakes are impossible to find (04 STi was the only car to use that size brake and 5x100).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea, that is some major BS. That Shiz is flat out, out of control. I mean we are talking about PADS and ROTORS, am I missing something?

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#6 Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Ya, a quick searched showed rotors would cost you about 600 plus 150 for pads if you went aftermarket and a common vendor.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae