2Likes
  • 2 Post By PROImportTuners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

thepants1337 is an unknown
Rotors, Pads, SS lines upgrade 2012 WRX

Hey all,

It's a been a while since I've been on and I had a few questions regarding upgrading my brakes. I'm looking to do rotors, pads, SS lines and new fluid. I have the motul bleeding tool for the brake lines but wanted to ask your opinions on the kit for sale here:

Stoptech Sport Kit Subaru WRX 2009-2013 977.47008 at RallySportDirect.com

I was considering the DBA 4000 series rotors but after seeing the deal on fronts, rears, and the lines from stoptech I'm really tempted to go that route.

What do you guys think of that particular kit? What should I look for when upgrading my rotors, pads? I'm looking for something that will fit in the stock wheel dimensions ('12 WRX) since I keep the stock wheels for winter (summer wheel is a bit larger at 18"). Also, I'm looking to do the install myself, i have the SS lines, bleeding tool, replacement fluid, a jack, jack stands; but what tools and tips do you guys have? Are there any top notch guides that you use for this type of installation?

Thanks for any advice,

Thepants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Look into the Centric Rotors (HD)

Piece it together yourself.. save some cash... IIRC, Centric bought out DBA...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ahh thanks for the heads up. I'm looking into them now; are there any places you know have good prices for Centric Rotors?
#4 Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

After some research into the centric rotors, I've had a hard time finding any slotted rotors by them. I'm looking for a stronger bite than OEM and was trying to accomplish that with slotted rotors, pads, ss lines, and new fluid.

How is the braking performance of a solid rotor as compared to a solid rotor like:

Centric Premium Brake Rotor Front Subaru Models (inc. 2009-2013 WRX) 120.47021 at RallySportDirect.com

I was under the impression slotted would be the better option but maybe I'm wrong.
#5 Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Slotted and Drilled are both useless on a street car. They destroy brake pads and wear out quicker (read: cost you money). Slotted are better than drilled because drilling can cause warping but neither is necessary.

Why do people slot and/or drill their rotors? For heat dissipation. Do you need to worry about brake heat dissipation on a public road? God I hope not. Brakes don't fade from a 100-0 mph stop and they cool down fairly quickly, even without slots or drills, when you are not actively braking.

If you race your car around a longer track, you will worry much more about brake heat dissipation. When you do that, you will be tossing rotors and pads away like air fresheners too so you won't care as much about wear and warping.

But Dawg! You can look baller by putting on brake rotors that make you look like a race car driver! Put hello kitty decals on your brake rotors for added flare too!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Slotted and Drilled are both useless on a street car. They destroy brake pads and wear out quicker (read: cost you money). Slotted are better than drilled because drilling can cause warping but neither is necessary.

Why do people slot and/or drill their rotors? For heat dissipation. Do you need to worry about brake heat dissipation on a public road? God I hope not. Brakes don't fade from a 100-0 mph stop and they cool down fairly quickly, even without slots or drills, when you are not actively braking.

If you race your car around a longer track, you will worry much more about brake heat dissipation. When you do that, you will be tossing rotors and pads away like air fresheners too so you won't care as much about wear and warping.

But Dawg! You can look baller by putting on brake rotors that make you look like a race car driver! Put hello kitty decals on your brake rotors for added flare too!
+1 you said it bro.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#7 Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

So then should i just stick with OEM rotors and focus on pads, ss lines, and fluid? I mean I'm not buying calipers at this point so I won't be changing the size of the rotor. I'd like to improve breaking overall because the OEM setup feels a little weak to me.

Thanks for the help,
Thepants

PS: Slotted rotors look cooler and you know it. lol
#8 Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, lines, pads and fluid.... golden.

KNS Brakes are who I use.... http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/home

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepants1337 View Post
PS: Slotted rotors look cooler and you know it. lol
They just burn through your pads probably 25% faster or so (mattering on the pad) which is money and a bit more dust. If you like the look, it's not like they're dangerous or anything. I would avoid drilled rotors on a street car but slots aren't THAT big a deal, they're just silly. Certainly far from the silliest mod people do to their cars. Lots of other mods are much more negative to the car. Individual expression is good, if you like the look go for it.

But yes, I would smirk if I saw your car. But I'm an Engineer, so you should expect that.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
We carry the Stoptech sport kits too, as Mosc mentioned a lot of people buy the drilled rotors for the "Look". The Plain or Slotted rotors are usually the better choices for most street cars.

StopTech Sport Brake Kits 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01 00 Subaru Impreza

Another thing that some people don't know is that Centric is actually the "Parent" company for Stoptech, so some of the performance qualities are shared between both brands.

Since the Drilled and Slotted options are usually more popular we don't show the blank rotors on our site but we can certainly substitute them instead of the drilled or slotted options. If you want us to put together a custom Stoptech blank sport kit for you just let me know.
mosc and Brockton like this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#11 Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Just to update this thread, I ended up settling on some SS lines, Dot 4 Motul fluid, and Hawk HPS pads. Since I didn't spend that much on the brakes I was able to afford some other goodies so I picked up some whiteline sways front and rear with some kartboy endlinks. W00t W00t.

Oh and random question but my '12 wrx is black and I was thinking about painting the little silver trim pieces that say wrx directly behind the front 2 wheel wells. Does anyone know where to find OEM matching paint to do that?

Thanks,
thepants
#12 Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Check grimmspeed, they usually have color matching paint for subarus.
#13 Old 07-05-2013, 04:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
Go to your local dealer for the exact paint.
#14 Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
^If you want a gallon of it
#15 Old 07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
^Negative. I bought a small container, it's sold as touch up paint. I plan on doing something very similar. I am painting the badge black and the wrx will match the car.