Subaru WRX Forum banner

rim opinion

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
Hey all.

So today I drive right through a pot hole that i cannot imagine didnt bend my rim-or worse. Far and away the worst I've driven through since I bought the car four years ago.

Anyway, at this point Im considering the rim a loss, although I havent driven it on the hghway yet to offically confirm.

My question is--is it worth buying a replacement oem rim, or should I just go aftermarket all around? I'm sure the rest of the oems are damaged to one degree or another, both from regular driving as well as curb rash. Are aftermarket rims as strong (or stronger) than the oems?

I really don't know much about wheels and so Im trying to avoid 4 replacemnt oems, if possible. Otherwise, if they're really worth the cost, I will do that.

Thanks for the opinions!

#2 ·
Honestly it sounds like its time for you to upgrade.

My biggest concern when looking for wheels is proper offset and weight. Depending on what wheel size you choose you could easily save 4-5 pounds over stock per corner and unsprung weight makes a huge difference in performance.

Im assuming you will be looking at new tires to match your new wheels? If not then you will need to consider your exisitng tire size when searching for new wheels.

You might consider a set of the STi BBS wheels, they are lighter than your stock wheels and I think they look better : ).

Just make sure whatever you get are 5x100 instead of 5x114.3 with around a -53 offset.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
no oem rim is worth the cost brand new from a dealer. not even the forged bbs rims. while they are amazing, they are $1500 per rim. you can get better forged rims for way less.

if you want to stick with a subaru rim, here are some options: Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC

you dont need to buy new. you can easily find most of these rims second hand in good condition as most people with subaru's buy aftermarket rims the second they buy a new subaru.

otherwise, buy any after market wheel that fits your budget. most oem wheels are cast and are no stronger/weaker than any reputable manufacturer of aftermarket wheels.
here is some general wheel info: Wheel Tech Information - Wheel Construction

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the thoughts.

I am definitely leaning towards four aftermarkets all around, my only concern is getting strong wheels. Obviously, if they arent the weakness link in the chain then just something else will give when i hit the next large pothole-and frankly I'd rather the wheel bend then tie rods, etc breaking or bending. Wheels are more easily replaced.

Anyway, I've schooled up on types of construction and I'm thinking low pressure cast is the spot I want to be, in terms of weight and strength. Is there a tangible benefit to this construction style over gravity cast, or is it marginal?

Trying to find the sweet spot here---while keeping costs down..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.