The right rim/tire package for 05 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
Exclamation The right rim/tire package for 05 wrx

OK so I'm just purchased my first Wrx today. It's a 2005 with stock suspension. I wanted to know if this package would work without rubbing and the need the roll fenders.

Rims:
+45 offset
18x7.5
Tire:
225/40-18

The reason I'm asking is because tirerack is saying it might be an aggressive fit.
Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It doesn't sound too terribly aggressive. If anything, there might be some light rubbing in the rear, but I don't think so. What brand and model are the tires? The reason I ask is that tires vary from company to company and even though they might have the same numerical specifications, some run slightly wider than others.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
It will probably be good year pilot super sport. I was also looking a some different rims, sparco assetta gara 18x7.5 with a +48 offset will these ones reduce the risk of rubbing. Also looking to drop it in the near future 1.6 in front and 1.0 in the back
#4 Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Nothing about that is aggressive. You won't come close to rubbing.
#5 Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Nothing about that is aggressive. You won't come close to rubbing.
Even with the drop?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#6 Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
is it a sedan or a wagon?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
is it a sedan or a wagon?
It is a sedan, will be using stock struts, with Epic Engineering lowering springs. Will replace struts with KYB GR2 within the next year. Car only has 26k on it.
#8 Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Why replace the struts then?
#9 Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
Im pretty new to this. Everywhere I've read says lowering springs on stock struts is a bad thing. And rather than replacing them after they blow, I figured be proactive and replace them asap.

#10 Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silky View Post
Im pretty new to this. Everywhere I've read says lowering springs on stock struts is a bad thing. And rather than replacing them after they blow, I figured be proactive and replace them asap.

As long as you don't go too low or with bad spring rates. The Epics should be fine. KYB GR-2s are stock replacement type struts anyways. And they lift the front of the car up.
#11 Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

silky is an unknown
Ok so getting ready to purchase everything just want to check on last time.
Rims
Sparco assetto gara
+48
18x7.5
Tires
225/40-18
And car lowered 1.6 in front and 1.0 in rear.
Good or no good?
Thnx again for the help.
#12 Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Garage
Silky, let me clarify on the springs for you: Lowering springs are bad, REGARDLESS of which struts you use. So if you want the springs, a better strut won't help them. The problem is more basic. They have too much drop for their spring rate. It is a spring problem and nothing you do with the struts will help that. To fix the problem, you'd have to have less drop (something more stock looking) or more springrate (basically a racing hardness which would also require much better than factory struts). Lowering springs are safe in that they won't cause your car to explode, they'll just decrease handling performance and ride comfort. They're "safe" (except for something like S-Techs, I think they're beyond what I would call safe).

225/40r18 are what I would call a "normal" width for the WRX sedan. They are usable even at an extreme wheel drop (assuming a reasonable wheel offset, which +48 is). You can go wider. You'd need at least 8" wide wheels to do it but 235 is a very good width for your car. 235/35R18 is a little thin in terms of sidewall, most people who go 235 go with 17" wheels so it's 235/40R17. 235/40R18 or 235/45R17 I would recommend avoiding at all costs for an EJ205 powered car like yours. You want shorter than stock, not taller.

Will the setup you described rub? No. Will it improve your car's handling? No, it will decrease it substantially. Your mom will also yell at you if she ever rides in the passenger seat on a public road.

#13 Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Cmon Mosc, that's a little bit dramatic. Lowering springs (this is a generic term for springs, he's not talking specifically S-Techs or DF210s) can increase the handling of the car. Some make it worse, yes, but not all are evil.
#14 Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM

Garage
The stock struts on the WRX can't handle much spring. They're already overworked. They can't even handle the 04-05 STi stock springrate. And the optimum drop for a given spring rate is easy to calculate. Stock suspension will be hard to beat without better struts. Some lowering springs may work better than stock with better than stock struts, but not by much. There are no lowering springs I know of that even offer the performance of the STi springs.