Ride Quality, Rear Strut-Clunk Issue... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Flat 4 is an unknown
Ride Quality, Rear Strut-Clunk Issue...

I have a 2005 STi as a daily driver. It's just becoming taxing to be bouncing down the highway all the time after a rough day. I'd like to keep the handling characteristics of the car, but take the "edge" off of the rough ride. Also, I'm experiencing the notorious strut-clunk coming from the rear of the car.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced set of struts to alleviate all of the above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Since your current struts are obviously bad or on their way out, pretty much any new struts will make your ride better - whether it be a set of new factory OEM struts or a nice set of KYBs.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
I just got an 05 STi a week ago and have the exact same problem with the struts. Sounds like there is a drum set back there. I've been told it's more of annoyance then anything else? But, I too would like to fix this problem if it isn't too pricy. Any buddy know some quotes on new rear struts? If that in fact is the problem?

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#4 Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
A cheap alternative and very usable solution is to re-pack the stock struts. They work better than they did from the factory. D-specs work too.

Here's the elegant solution:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...oducts_id=1036

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 08-30-2010 at 12:00 AM.
#5 Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Thanks mosc. That looks and sounds pretty legit. Anyone have these? So I wonder what kind of further damage I can expect by not doing anything, and how long I would have?

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#6 Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Garage
Doesn't do damage unless you break your bump stops (which is not easy to do). It'll just be bumpy and the suspension won't work properly.

#7 Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
That's good, I dont really feel like shelling out the money right now. I'll probably just wait to the 60k mile service and do everything at once.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#8 Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
I just called up Subaru today for the H*** of it, and asked about the "infamous strut clunk"
He said pretty much everything we all ready know. He said it's more than likely the strut mounts themselves and in which case grease would not discontinue the sound. He also said labor for new rear struts is at least $800 and the rear struts themselves would be at least $2,000! I laughed as he told me that. I think I'll be putting up with it for a while. Just to
reiterate what we already know, he too agreed it wouldn't hurt anything but it could get pretty loud. Anyone know how long something like that would stay under warranty? I only have 48k miles on mine, but it's an 05.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#9 Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Garage
Base Subaru warranty is 3/36 on that kind of stuff I believe. Only drive train is 5/50. Ran out years ago.

Struts and springs aren't the hardest part in the world to do yourself. Really, even if it's your first car thing ever, it might be something you want to do . You just need the right wrenches/sockets and a spring compressor (which is basically just a vice, really). You do want to make sure you get a good alignment afterward though.

#10 Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea I would like to be able to do it myself, but in reality the most I do on cars are oil changes, exhausts, and other minor shit like that. I have not attempted struts. I would probably get into trouble attempting that. I'll just ride it out until I can't take it anymore. It isn't horrible yet. I was just curious what Subaru would even say about it.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi