Rear Caliper Question - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boo-key bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
Rear Caliper Question

So I found the other day that my rear passenger brake caliper is dragging and heating the ever-loving crap out of everything on that wheel. I think I'm just going to pick up a new caliper but don't know if I should be looking for a specific part number. The 2003 WRXs had a couple diff size brake pads used (D770 & D1004) on the rear. Will I have to find a caliper that holds one or the other size, or will it hold both? Anyone ever run into this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Have the dealer look up your caliper part # by VIN.
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, I did that and I'm not getting anything for this PN. 26692FC00.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#4 Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Oh. And my build date is Oct. 02'. From what I hear, the "grey" area of unknown pads (even with VIN lookup) is around Jun-Jul. So I'm pretty sure I have the new style D1004s. Just want to be sure before I buy all these parts and get to work. BTW, I can't just yank the tire off and check due to no garage, no jack, and a gravel driveway. I get one crack at this so I need the parts to fit.

#5 Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
2002: All 2002 WRXs have a combination of D721 front pads and D770 rear pads.

2003: Starting in July of 2002 (2003 cars were made in 2002), Subaru decided on new brake calipers for both the front and rear, which consisted of a D929 front pad and D1004 rear pad. This created four variants of WRX brake setups:
1. Some early 2003 cars got the 2002 style D721 and D770 setup
2. Some cars got the older D721 front pads and the new-style D1004 rear pads
3. Some vehicles got the new D929 front pads with the older D770 rear pads
4. Some got the new D929s front and D1004 rear setup.

These variants make purchasing brake pads and brake kits complicated; the easiest (and only) way to tell what you have is to remove the wheels and measure the pads. Generally any 2003 WRXs made after July of 2003 have the new D929 and D1004 setup that was used until 2005.

I can't take credit for this useful info. I can only take credit for searching, copy, and paste.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#6 Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Here's detailed measurements
Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Appreciate it, man. Yeah I had found that info as well. Nothing on the caliper though. There is only one "size" caliper showing up at O'Reilys but with 2 diff part numbers. One has metal pistons and the other doesn't... (?) Is there any literature out there on the difference in calipers and their respective part numbers?

#8 Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Your only for sure way to know is going to be taking it off and taking it with you when you get the new one. That way you will also have your core with you. You could also get a rebuild kit. I would say the calipers are different since the pads are different. Another option would be buy both and return the one you don't use.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#9 Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

I ended up doing just that and buying calipers for a 03 and an 04. Turns out that even though I have a later model 03, that I had the older pads. (770s) the calipers are the same, though for anyone that might hit this problem on their bugeye. Had a scrape sound coming from left wheel when turning right, though after the job was done. (The side that was fine pre-brake-job) but it seems to be quieting down after some mario-kart style driving. Probably a pad seating itself is my guess. Time will tell.

#10 Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Did the piston seize or did the sliding pin seize? Remember to lube your sliding pins every time you install new brake pads to prevent the latter.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#11 Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

I don't believe so. But then again, I didn't grease the piston. I plan on tearing everything back out this weekend of the noise does not improve further. I really have to hit a gnarly turn maneuver to get it to make the noise today. I checked the dust cover last night and couldn't see any scrapes, but it seems as though the top edge looked a bit chewed. (The edge perpendicular to the face of the rotor) Bled the brakes a few good times through that caliper as well.