Painting the wheels on my 02 Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

MWilliams is an unknown
Painting the wheels on my 02 Wrx

Hey guys, whats up! I'm new here and just had some questions about painting the wheels on my wrx. I Just bought an 02 wrx from the Subaru dealership in el paso and originally i planned on buying new wheels but i spent a little more then i planned when getting a car. Anyways.. I dont mind how the stock wheels look but i'm not too fond of the plain old siver color. I was thinking of painting them gold or black.. kind of interested in some white wheels. does anyone know how the stock wheels look painted white on an 02 wrx? And what all will i need to paint them? I've seen some awful jobs done on painted wheels and want to do this right. Anything will help!

Thanks in advance

oh.. the car is blue btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You considered plastidip ? At least it will give you an idea without ruining the wheel. If you don't like it, just peel it off.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Plastidip won't hold up.

IMHO painted stock wheels look god awful. They scream "I'm too cheap to buy wheels". The only excepts I've ever seen were professionally painted gunmetal V7 STI wheels and Rayfields WRX on ClubWRX's wheels:

#4 Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The wheels on that blue wagon do look pretty good.

I mounted snow tires on my stock 07 WRX wheels and painted them with several coats of Duplicolor black for wheels and Duplicolor clear for wheels and they've held up pretty well through several winters with only a few chips. After I replace these winter tires, I might paint the wheels again with Duplicolor gunmetal/clear just to change things up a bit.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...and here's a pic when they're clean
Attached Images

John
07 WRX