1Likes
  • 1 Post By man show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

04wrx_fanatic is an unknown
OEM Pads/Rotors worth the $$?

Hey Guys,

Yesterday i purchased my first Subaru! Its a 2004 WRX. It came with some EBC Slotted rotors on it and they def need replaced along with the pads. Brake pedal pulsation at high speeds. I've been reading about the different brands (Centric, Stoptech etc.). I also am looking into the OEM pads and rotors to ensure i get good true rotors and long lasting pads. The OEM equipment like always is quite a bit more money. Is it really worth it? Are they the best combo for the car? Im not looking to hear everyones favorite brakes, i'm looking to find out the difference between the OEM brakes and the aftermarket world and if they OEM is that much better. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I like hawk HPS pads. People say they're dusty, they lie. The dust is pink. People mistake road grime for dust every day. They work great cold which is important on a street car. You don't want pads that need heat for optimal breaking when it's wet, and cold, and you haven't moved your car in the past 2 minutes stuck at a light.

Rotors don't matter much. Buy something cheap. Unless they completely failed at making steel in a balanced disk, you're fine. Slots burn through pads and don't improve stopping but some people think they look cool. Drilled rotors should be avoided as they warp very quickly. They're for cars that intend to toss disks out as often as oil changes.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
I usually get the mid or high end pads from parts stores, parts stores sell bazillions of pads and rotors and usually the people working there know which ones are junk and which ones are decent... I don't usually trust people at autozone but for pads and rotors I usually will listen to what they say... Just do your self a favor and don't get the lowest grade cheapest option...

The oem brakes are decent so if it's cheaper than the mid level part store brands then get them but usually OEM means $$$$$

If you've really got money to spend on brakes get some Brembo or wilwood big brakes. That will really make your brakes awesome... Just avoid slotted and drilled rotors like stated above
post #4 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
But cost to longevity is important as well.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mcd View Post
If you've really got money to spend on brakes get some Brembo or wilwood big brakes. That will really make your brakes awesome... Just avoid slotted and drilled rotors like stated above
Monumental waste of money unless you get both front and rear and track the car. There is no reason at all ever to get a BBK unless you track or it's a show car.

NAPA rotors will work fine, just get get pads of decent quality. Stainless steel brake lines and good fluid make a difference too.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
I just did my rear pads and rotors. I went with Centric premium rotors and hawk hps pads. I definitely recommend them, for the rears I think my total was in the 200 range.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
post #7 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I run Stoptech rotors and stock OEM pads from Autozone....Have never had an issue with either.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #8 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
DBA 4000 T-Slots and Hawk HPS pads for me, but I also enjoy looking cool and mistaking an average amount of road grime for an average amount of brake dust

And my car stops like a champ.

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You need to abuse the hell out of your brakes right after cleaning your wheels. You'll see some pink then and know what I'm on about.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sounds like a challenge
Nathan21 likes this.

John
07 WRX
post #11 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Go with HPS, I run HPS on my Fozzy, and I run HP+ on my Rex, and I tell you HP+ on stock rotors, is the worst misteak of my life! Worst noise ever, once these rotors or pads becomes shot(which ever comes first) I am going stock rotors and HPS like on my fozzy! I am very pleased with the stopping power of the breaks. I live on a huge hill and my wife rides the hell out of the breaks and over 2 months so far on that and they look brand new still when we r almost about to change her breaks out at the 3 month mark!!

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #12 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan21 View Post
Go with HPS, I run HPS on my Fozzy, and I run HP+ on my Rex, and I tell you HP+ on stock rotors, is the worst misteak of my life! Worst noise ever, once these rotors or pads becomes shot(which ever comes first) I am going stock rotors and HPS like on my fozzy! I am very pleased with the stopping power of the breaks. I live on a huge hill and my wife rides the hell out of the breaks and over 2 months so far on that and they look brand new still when we r almost about to change her breaks out at the 3 month mark!!
It could be the pads themselves or the installation. I run pads more aggressive than HP+s and they a completely silent and I haven't noticed any additional rotor wear past what I had on my old HPS.

If you're fine with the stock pads, HPSs will get the job done. But if you expect performance out of them, there are much better choices.