Subaru WRX Forum banner

new winter wheels!! sellin OEMs

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kelvin 
#1 ·
got some new wheels i couldnt pass up. 18x7.5 +48 20lbs rota tarmac 2's. guy slid into a snow ice bank and scratch 2 of the wheels. just the outer rim, about 40% of the way around. nothing powder coat couldnt fix! gave me the 2 for free and the other 2 for $250!! there getting powder coated now, flat black of course and they have a 400 hour salt bath guarantee so im not worried about winter.

im selling my stock dunlop sport 01's with 55% tread and my OEM wheels with Blizzak ws60's on them. there under 10k and go through snow like a tank!

everything is sold out for a new winter tire but Michelin X-ice. just havnt desided on $146 215/45/18 or $163 225/40/18 !Cry!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welp I think I changed my mind on tires. Both thoughs diameters suck. Conti has a 60 day money back and I already have summer DW's. So I'm giving the DWS's a shot. They have great reviews for snow and there only $143 and come in a 215/40/18 which is a perfect 24.8" tall diameter for me! :)

#3 ·
If you already have summers, don't buy all seasons for the winter. Buy winter performance tires. All seasons get stiff in cold weather. Their compounds have to handle HIGH temperatures as well as cold remember, so they handle worse in the cold than a winter performance tire. Not all tires made for winter are designed for just bad weather. There are lots of good winter performance tires that will trounce any all season when it's below freezing on a totally dry course.

TEMPERATURE determines tire compound remember. Best tire in the cold will be one designed for cold temperatures. If you handicap yourself by buying a tire that has to also handle heat, it will be much stiffer as temperatures drop.

I'd go with 225/40R18 personally. Though I wouldn't have chosen 18" wheels...

#4 ·
That's good info and I agree but the DWS's compound from what I'm reading is killing snow and ice in cold weather. there's 90 reviews alone on tire tack from 1-10 inches of snow and everyones in love with the handling. Since I'm coming from the WS-60's I'll be able to judge probably more than any of them if they can compete. If they can't and I hate them I'll send them back for the full refund.

#6 ·
Man, those are killer!!! I'm really digging the black wheel trend lately. I recently ordered a set of gold (I wanted bronze, but those were out of stock until further notice) DPTs with summer tires, so I think I'm really going to miss my black stockers with winter tires when I swap them out this spring.

#9 ·
Where'd you get the powder coat at? I need to get a coat with that kind of guarantee Im moving to Northern Arizona & I'm gonna be dealing with salt and snow I'm just sitting on my stocks at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.