Subaru WRX Forum banner

New wheels, tire suggestions...

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm getting a set of 17x8 +35 wheels for my 2005 wrx this week on a killer deal.

I'm lowered 1.5" front and back

I have 17x7 +43 with 225 50 17 tires and have rolled my reAr fenders a good bit to fit them.

I'm wondering if my 225/50 tires would fit on a +35 17x8 without any issues. I'm not against rolling the front some too, but I'm not interested in pulling or hacking. I know the lower offset is going to bring them out a good bit but going from a 7" wide to 8" wide wheel will also "stretch" the tires slightly making it maybe not out so far?

I'm not looking for the hellaflush look, but I wouldn't mind being able to use the tires I just bought a couple months ago.

Any other suggestions on good size tires are welcome too, I'm looking for beefier looking tires not the extreme stretch, I'm not going to try to fit 195 tires on an 8 inch wheels :nerd:

#3 ·
Haha, @mosc is gonna hate on this.. FOL

I'll give some insight from experience. Keep in mind I don't know your model year.

I ran a 225/40/18 18x8.5 +36 on my 2002 Wrx lowered 1.5 with no rolling or pulling. It did rub a bit in the rear on big bumps though. Since you're rolled, I'd imagine you'd be ok. Now keep in mind also you're looking at a beefier tire but on a smaller Wheel.

........CHEERS!!!

#4 ·
225/50R17 is way too tall for your car. 225/45R17 is GD STI stock. 225/40R17 is a perfectly goid size for your car. I've never tried fender clearance with that tall a tire but my guess is you're sol. Fender would need to be cut in the rear much past the +43 you're at already. Disregard doom and gloom if 50 sidewall was a typo

And free is not a good deal for 17x8" +35 imho. Used 06-14 wheels are dirt cheap and +53 or +55 offset

#5 ·
I had the 225 50 on 17x7 and they fit ok, I might just look for a set of 225-235/45 tires though. I understand that mosc is one of those people that always suggest stock offset/size because the car was designed that way for a reason.... I just found that after looking at pictures thAt is the setup I'm wanting, I agree the 50 sidewall may be a bit much. But I'm not a race car driver so wider/lower offset isn't going to be an issue for me. Thanks for the input

#7 ·
All I can say is I'm rocking a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 205/50/17 tires on my stock 17x7 +55 wheels and they fit nicely - slightly narrower tread to cut through snow and slush and a slightly bubblier sidewall to protect my wheels when I bump or slide into things "by accident" ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.