Subaru WRX Forum banner

new tire selection

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  the RIOT act 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Been a while since I've been on, but a quick question. I'm looking to buy a set of new tires. Stock wheels. Im in Cali, and it rains for about 3-4 months, but pretty clear rest of the year, so just summer tires will do. My wrx is a daily driver, no track/autocross, most I do is make tires squeal on onramps, a few stretches of roads where ill make turns fun. But nothing like pushing her to the limit or anything. All of that taken into account, is it worth the money to buy a set of expensive tires, or just aim for the bottom end since I dont race or live in a severe weather area? I'm thinking the cheapos are fine, but im open to suggestions

#2 ·
You get what you pay for. Ill make an example... I bought cheap hancook 235/40/17 from pep boys on clearence 68$ a tire. Mount and balanced them then did an alignment. Everything perfect specs.. After less then 5000 miles ( 2 tire rotations in there) the one tire has an awful tire pull. Not saying an expensive tire won't do that but I think the chances are lower. The quality of tire is what your paying for man. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
I've had the stock tires on for almost 40k miles. Is that about the life expectancy of a tire? I know some tires will last longer than others, but I guess with my driving habits I'm really looking for bang for the buck type thing. I don't know anything about tires, so my default line was gonna be just buying the stock tires again.. how long have the stock tires lasted for you guys?

#4 ·
Tires are all about achieving a return on investment! So, when it comes to buying tires I say make the most money you possibly can back into your pocket by running level A or B tires. Something like a Dunlop sure, or Yokohama, Hankook, BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Michelin. Stay away from anything under $100 per tire lol! I don't even need to hear the name or model...trust me don't buy it lol!

Put it this way, post up what you're realistically looking at spending on tires (all included) and I'll help you with some recommendations.

#9 ·
I'm looking at spending between 400-800 for tires. I was looking into buying a set of wheels and tires at the same time, but wheels will have to come at a later time. Btw, last night my front drivers tire went flat. So I REALLY need some tires now lol.

Man Show- We dont have freezing temps where I'm at. Just gets a little wet in the winter..

#5 ·
Do the temperatures drop below 40 degrees F where you live? If so, you might want to consider a set of ultra high performance all season tires as opposed to cheaper summer tires - something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position, or perhaps the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Summer tires tend to turn into hockey pucks at lower temperatures.

#7 ·
I had a set of 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses on my 17x7 stock 07 WRX wheels until I ripped a huge gash in the sidewall of one of them from parking too close to a metal storm drain edge :eek: They did reasonably well in the snow and were pretty good on dry pavement too. My mom actually has a set on her Volvo S40 T5 right now and she really likes them.

They also have a cool tread pattern :)

#10 ·
Perfect! I'd recommend one of the below then. Prices were pulled off Tire Rack for easy/general purposes. And these prices are for 245/40R17 which I recommend you switch to! One, because it's 10mm in width difference will give you a slightly better contact patch even on stock wheel width. And two, because when you do get the money for wheels you obv wanna go wider with them, and this tire size will will allow you not to have to worry about tires when you wanna go with an 8.5" or even 9" wheel.

Yokohama Avid Envigor = $141
Great all around tire for traction and mileage for a DD application. I've sold many sets but haven't personally driven on them. Have had very good feedback on them though!
Synthetic rubber Tire Tread Automotive tire Auto part

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S = $195
Fantastic DD application and with its superior dry AND wet traction to the Yokohama it's also a great tire for light AutoX or Spirited Driving. It's tread life is ever so slightly less rated than the Yokohama, but that's because compounds were changed to accommodate a better traction tire which leaves it prone to accelerated tire wear. But running these myself, plus being a Michelin dealer for 12 years, I can tell you that they'll prob pull the same mileage you get off the Yokohama's. Even if you got like 3-4k less miles on the Michelin's the added traction makes the decision an easy one IMO. I'd honestly be willing to say you get the same mileage though...
Synthetic rubber Tire Tread Automotive tire Auto part

#12 ·
If 18's are the plan then absolutely go with the Yokohama, or possibly something cheaper. Using what you're paying for is the name of the game. You'll get roughly around 3 years off those Yokohama's (average mileage driven per year of 18k) if you're not swapping snows and stuff and just running them year round. So if you're getting wheels before the next 3 years I'd recommend something even a little cheaper but wouldn't sacrifice performance that much. Getting any real money back for them selling them used after you buy wheels would only be a loss, cause you'd prob get next to nothing for them if anything at all and just end up sitting on un-used rubber. Just my .02

#13 ·
yeah, my plan was to wear out the stock tires and get new wheels/tires, but i had some unforseen expenses, so now im kind of stuck in limbo where i have to get new tires, then wheels and tires again when i want to upgrade. I thought about trying to find somethign used, but ive had some issues with used stuff before so im trying steer clear of preowned stuff

#17 ·
Why is it any more expensive? Used wheels are cheap and changing 4 with the jack and wrench in your trunk is like 30 minutes work tops, less if you have a few bucks for a floor jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench. Tire wise, you only drive on the summers in the summer and the winters in the winter so it's not like you're magically ever wearing out two sets at once.

So with a spare set of wheels you could easily re-sell for what you pay for em and two sets of tires you won't wear any faster than a single set of all seasons, you're really not looking at substantially more money for two separate sets. Changing tires twice a year is less work than an oil change.

#18 ·
Mosc, you're killin' me buddy lol! If the guy doesn't have the money for a set of summer wheels, what makes you think he's got the money for winter wheels + tires, then another set of summer wheels? Lol...

It's about being realistic and presenting what fits for the OP with any given topic/thread, not what would "be best" in a theoretical world. Just sayin...

I wish I could always do "what's best" instead of what I can afford lol!

#19 ·
Your car has all seasons and a set of wheels. You buy a set of used wheels ~$200 and a set of summer tires. You drive on them over the summer, NOT your all seasons. This saves you wear on your all seasons. Then you swap to the all seasons in the winter.

If your all seasons are shot, great! Perfect time to do this! Don't buy new all seasons, buy winter tires and put them on your current wheels. Then sometime before summer track down some cheap wheels and hunt for a good deal on summer tires. Do your job right and it'll be cheaper than buying some expensive all seasons now.

Don't talk to me like $200 is an astronomical amount of money. You're not driving around an elantra, there's a turbo under your hood. Why waste it on shitty all seasons rubber? If you can't afford that, you have no business owning a WRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.