Subaru WRX Forum banner

NEW 17x8 O.Z. Alleggerita HLT ORANGE wrapped in yokohama 235/45/17's

18K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  SnowWhite 
#1 ·
Well i know not everyone will like these wheels but after waiting three months i am aVERY happy to have them on! i will take better pictures later but just had to get the wheels on and snap a quick pic!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
mosc, I wasn't sure which would be the best way to go, the 40 series is .4 smaller and the 45 is .6 bigger. Would the .4 smaller give me better acceleration? I am just curious why the smaller tires would be better so for my snow tires and next set of tires i will be better informed. Thanks for offering your advice. It helps alot.

#4 ·
Well, for snow tires I'd probably get something narrower than 235. I use 255's in the summer but for winter I use 225/45R17 which is still far too wide for a proper snow tire. But for Pennsylvania, I view it more as a "winter" tire meaning cold dry/wet/snow not just snow so I use a more traditional all season size.

As for the summer, the main reason for the shorter tire is gearing, yes. The WRX has tall gearing and benefits from a shorter tire. It's also easier to fit without rubbing.

#5 ·
oh, ok

I was afraid to start out with a smaller tire than stock that would only wear down and be even shorter. i didn't realize the gearing was so tall. I am sure these tires won't last long and i will change up the size. For winter i am mounting 215's on the stock rims because for best grip you want a narrow tire. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

#7 ·
yeah

I am thinking of painting it white... Initially i was going with more of a sleeper look.. So i installed a Perrin FMIC. Hence no longer needing scoop..... BUT then i got the wheels. Which still don't mean the is fast or anything. Everyone slaps wheels on almost anything... i may one day just get an RS hood for the non-turbo sleeper look. But money right now is a bit tight..

Attachments

#12 ·
good point

i honestly did think about painting them but i don't want to do a rattle can job on them and my budget is pretty shot after this month with interior, shocks and springs. Got a set of tokico d-spec's with tanabe springs on the way and i have to get them mounted still and an alignment. So hopefully by spring i can get that done or if i get ambitious i may just pull them and do it myself. Unless there is a body shop out there that wants to help me out ROFL

#16 ·
Hey SnowWhite, what kind of hood dampers do you have? How long have you had them and have you noticed any rust? My NRG carbon fiber dampers have a bunch of rust all over the mounting hardware and it's driving me crazy, so I might pick up another set some time in the near future. Your polished dampers look pretty good !Thumbs Up

If I were you, I'd avoid painting all the yellow caps orange - I painted mine black a while ago and they all started chipping horribly, so I ended up removing the paint and it wasn't easy. I scratched most of the caps and now they don't look very good and nobody seems to sell any replacement caps. Just thought I'd pass that info along in case you were considering doing that...

#17 ·
Hood dampers

are actually cheap forty dollar ones from ebay.. The only thing i am going to change on them are the washers. they are rusting i am going to replace them with stainless steel. I have had them for little over a month or so but they work great. I didnt have the budget to buy the 150 dollar tein ones or anything fancy. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks, that helps a little - my washers did the same thing and now I have a bit of surface rust that spread to the little pieces that connect the dampers to the fenders. The pieces that attach to the under side of the hood have rusted too. They were originally painted black, but now they're all bubbly and flaking. I don't know if it's the quality or type of metal/paint that was used, but I'm not too happy about it. Mine definitely need a little tlc to fix the visual defects, but at least they still work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.