Need tire helpppppp - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrxtacy is an unknown
Need tire helpppppp

PLEASSEE Help..alright.. before i ask i know i know i know theres an answer somewhere on here im sure to this question, but im on call in the winter for snow and also in school and i have very little time to be on here to find answers i need.. but here it goes

I have a completely stock suspension/wheels/springs/tires on my 06 wrx.. not STI, i really need some new tires, probably some all seasons, but ones with a nice looking tread pattern, my QUESTION is.. instead of going with the stock 215/45's whats the widest tire size i can go with on the stock 17's without any modding and without rubbing.. and also what kind of spacers would i need to push the stock wheels out flush with the fenders a little closer. could really use some advice guys.. this is my first subie so i want to make it a good looking one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think I can help: buy a fresh set of 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses. That's exactly what I had on the stock wheels of my 07 WRX for a while and they're some of the best ultra high performance all season tires currently available. The tread pattern is really cool and they perform great in the snow (or about as great as an all-season tire can) and you really don't want to go too much wider than that on the stock 17x7 wheel. I don't know much about spacers, but I think they're generally not a good idea because they alter your suspension geometry in a negative way. Although I don't have any personal experience with them, I've read that Bridgestone Pole Positions are also pretty good tires, but their tread pattern isn't as cool as the Michelins

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrxtacy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I think I can help: buy a fresh set of 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses. That's exactly what I had on the stock wheels of my 07 WRX for a while and they're some of the best ultra high performance all season tires currently available. The tread pattern is really cool and they perform great in the snow (or about as great as an all-season tire can) and you really don't want to go too much wider than that on the stock 17x7 wheel. I don't know much about spacers, but I think they're generally not a good idea because they alter your suspension geometry in a negative way. Although I don't have any personal experience with them, I've read that Bridgestone Pole Positions are also pretty good tires, but their tread pattern isn't as cool as the Michelins
thanks bud! so you had no rubbing issues or anything with the 225's? i'll go ahead and look into them
#4 Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You won't rub on anything but I would not recommend you go with 225/45R17 on 17x7 for a WRX. Your gearing will suffer and the tire, especially if it's an all season, will have poor turning response. In other words you may have more tire width but your car will feel more sluggish to respond both to your right foot and to the steering wheel. I would stick with 215/45R17 until you get wider wheels. With some 17x8" wheels or similar and a stock-ish offset you can swing 235/40R17 tires with no rubbing. That's 20mm more tire and actually a slightly shorter sidewall. It's also perfect for the 8" wheel so you won't loose on steering response either.

In summary, 225/45R17 is not a very useful tire size for you but will fit fine on your wheels and within your fenders.

Some reading for you: Wheel / Tire FAQ

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrxtacy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You won't rub on anything but I would not recommend you go with 225/45R17 on 17x7 for a WRX. Your gearing will suffer and the tire, especially if it's an all season, will have poor turning response. In other words you may have more tire width but your car will feel more sluggish to respond both to your right foot and to the steering wheel. I would stick with 215/45R17 until you get wider wheels. With some 17x8" wheels or similar and a stock-ish offset you can swing 235/40R17 tires with no rubbing. That's 20mm more tire and actually a slightly shorter sidewall. It's also perfect for the 8" wheel so you won't loose on steering response either.

In summary, 225/45R17 is not a very useful tire size for you but will fit fine on your wheels and within your fenders.

Some reading for you: Wheel / Tire FAQ
roger that man. i appreciate it. money's a bit tight now around christmas anyway so i'll probably try and make the tires last till i can afford some wheels
#6 Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check out TireRack.com or DiscountTireDirect.com

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Big B is an unknown
You should look into the Goodyear Eagle F1 All season. I put em on my wrx last year and they are amazing. I drove from Lubbock to fort worth in a complete ice and snow storm without any problem. I would highly recommend them for snow.