need opinions on tire replacement - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
need opinions on tire replacement

All --

One of my tires got slit right open by an expansion joint today. Instantly ruined. Anyway, they are the stock three seasons with about 20,000 miles on them. Question: With that amount of wear, can I buy just one tire to replace the damaged one, or do I need to replace in a set due to the AWD?

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
What do the other tires measure? It all depends on what thread the other tires are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
i couldnt tell you offhand...will bring it to the shop this week...
#4 Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
If, worst case scenario, I need to buy a set of four new tires does anyone have suggestions on which three seasons I should get?
#5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Perfect time to throw some winter tires on your stock wheels and then when spring rolls around next year buy a second set of wheels with summer tires. Goodbye all seasons! No need for the other 3!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
haha normally excellent advice, except I already have winter tires and wheels and so im stuck getting replacement summers.... if it were October or nov and a little cooler I would definitely just swap and worry about it in april but its just still too hot for my winters... good looking though
#7 Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
haha normally excellent advice, except I already have winter tires and wheels and so im stuck getting replacement summers.... if it were October or nov and a little cooler I would definitely just swap and worry about it in april but its just still too hot for my winters... good looking though
So, you're looking for dedicated summers then. Not, three seasons. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Meh, you can drive winters in the summer. You just have to accept they'll wear out faster when it's hot. They work fine in the Summer traction wise, your typical all season is not much more than a performance winter tire with a more general purpose tire compound (wider temperature range, worse performance when it's cold but can take the heat). So no rush if you don't want to buy summers this year.

20k miles on 3x summer tires isn't much value there most likely. My summer tires will be lucky to see 20k miles before the recycling heap.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Buying 1 new is without a doubt not an option seeing you've got 20k on them OP. what's your budget for 4 new? I'll throw you some recommendations with what you can afford.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#10 Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
With 20k miles on the stock tires it's not worth getting a new one and shaving. I'd get a new set.
#11 Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
ok so turned out that the other three were within tolerances so i just had to purchase one replacement tire. my plan is to just run down the three and then buy a whole new set. also, i realized after my post that they actually dont have 20k on them, since i switched out for winters once already. car has 20k. ha. so they prob have closer to 15k. either way, i went with the one tire since maybe it wasnt the best option in terms of performance or being all equal, but it was the cheapest.
#12 Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Some times cheap isn't better. It maybe better now but the damage that could occur from something could be more money in the long run from the damage done from being cheap. You may be okay this time but you never know.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#13 Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
What's the tread depths OP if you don't mind me asking? Even with 15k they're prob not within tolerance. Your car, your rules...just trying to help.

arewmors likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#14 Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
ok so turned out that the other three were within tolerances so i just had to purchase one replacement tire. my plan is to just run down the three and then buy a whole new set. also, i realized after my post that they actually dont have 20k on them, since i switched out for winters once already. car has 20k. ha. so they prob have closer to 15k. either way, i went with the one tire since maybe it wasnt the best option in terms of performance or being all equal, but it was the cheapest.
What tolerances? Subaru's tolerances are 2/32" tread depth. A summer tire will wear thru that ~5-6k miles assuming they car is not driven hard. If you have 15k miles on them, you are well out of specs.
#15 Old 09-06-2013, 05:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

pjkatz04 is an unknown
i appreciate all the heads up. im not sure what the tread depths were on the old tires to be honest. but i took the vehicle to the dealer and they did the work. replaced it with the oem dunlops. plus the vehicles still under warranty. so i feel confident that they wouldnt screw me over, since itll be on their dime to correct the issue if something goes sideways.