Subaru WRX Forum banner

need opinions on tire replacement

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
All --

One of my tires got slit right open by an expansion joint today. Instantly ruined. :notgood: Anyway, they are the stock three seasons with about 20,000 miles on them. Question: With that amount of wear, can I buy just one tire to replace the damaged one, or do I need to replace in a set due to the AWD?

Thanks,
Pete

#5 ·
Perfect time to throw some winter tires on your stock wheels and then when spring rolls around next year buy a second set of wheels with summer tires. Goodbye all seasons! No need for the other 3!

#6 ·
haha normally excellent advice, except I already have winter tires and wheels and so im stuck getting replacement summers.... if it were October or nov and a little cooler I would definitely just swap and worry about it in april but its just still too hot for my winters... good looking though

#8 ·
Meh, you can drive winters in the summer. You just have to accept they'll wear out faster when it's hot. They work fine in the Summer traction wise, your typical all season is not much more than a performance winter tire with a more general purpose tire compound (wider temperature range, worse performance when it's cold but can take the heat). So no rush if you don't want to buy summers this year.

20k miles on 3x summer tires isn't much value there most likely. My summer tires will be lucky to see 20k miles before the recycling heap.

#11 ·
ok so turned out that the other three were within tolerances so i just had to purchase one replacement tire. my plan is to just run down the three and then buy a whole new set. also, i realized after my post that they actually dont have 20k on them, since i switched out for winters once already. car has 20k. ha. so they prob have closer to 15k. either way, i went with the one tire since maybe it wasnt the best option in terms of performance or being all equal, but it was the cheapest.

#12 ·
Some times cheap isn't better. It maybe better now but the damage that could occur from something could be more money in the long run from the damage done from being cheap. You may be okay this time but you never know.

#15 ·
i appreciate all the heads up. im not sure what the tread depths were on the old tires to be honest. but i took the vehicle to the dealer and they did the work. replaced it with the oem dunlops. plus the vehicles still under warranty. so i feel confident that they wouldnt screw me over, since itll be on their dime to correct the issue if something goes sideways.

#16 ·
I suggest getting a tread depth gauge (a few $$$) and measuring it yourself rather than just taken them on their word. I've stated Subaru's tolerances above so you know what to look for. The new tires are at 10/32". If the old ones are worn below 8/10" then I'd call the dealer again and call them out. !Thumbs Up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.