Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need new wheels

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Shayneking 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a bit of a problem, I'm getting tired of stock wheels, and just purchased some coilovers to lower alittle bit. I have been looking around and i really like ESR wheels, they are cheap and stylish. So what are your opinions. any rims that are better or cheaper?
Have been reading about the sizes also and im guessing 17x8.5 but tbh idk what it means for the sizes.
all help is needed!

#2 ·
I believe you have an 02 WRX sedan looking through your previous posts.

8.5" is wider than you need. I would recommend 5x100 17x8" +48 with 235/40R17 tires. Note the offset specificially. Your stock offset is +53, you need a high offset wheel.

#4 · (Edited)
What @mosc said, High offset and keep your wheel specs near stock for near stock performance.

Going wider when you dont need the extra grip only adds rolling resistance and lightens your wallet. If your setup is otherwise stock 17x8 should do just fine.

As for ESR Ive seen their adds in a few of the import magazines but I always say you get what you pay for. If you buy cheapos be ready for them to be brittle or soft.

#5 ·
"Crap" wheel are generally OK if you don't park on the street or drive over lots of potholes. Jersey's got both problems mattering on where you live so keep that in mind. I would point you to tirerack or to rota.

17x8 Rota Boost - Bronze (5x100/E48/56.1) Wheeldude.com - Professional wheel dealer.
There are other styles but I would try to stick with these measurements (17x8 5x100 +48)

Cheaper still would be something wheel + tire from tirerack.

Tirerack has BREMMER KRAFT BR10 which are enkei knockoffs (probably made by enkei) 5x100 17x8 +48 for $119 a wheel and they mount and balance tires for free if you buy both at the same time.

Speaking of tires, I'd get some summer tires. Tirerack sells SUMITOMO HTR Z II in 235/40R17 for $83 each right now

And keep your stock wheels for winter with some 225/50R16 tires like the Yokohama Iceguards they sell.

Those would be my suggestions on a budget. Sorry, the site's relationship with other tire companies prevents me from linking to tirerack

#7 ·
+1 what mosc said.

17x8 +48 with a 235/40R17 tire is literally THE best set up for a GD chassis subaru. (gd chassis are 02-07)

you will be underdriven by 2.2%. this is a good thing. there will be less overall stress on your drivetrain and you will accellerate faster.
also when doing 60mph on your speedometer you will in turn be doing 58.1mph. helps with speeding tickets as you will always be going a little bit slower than what you see on your speedometer.

#8 ·
Would a 18x8.5 with a +22 be ok? I hear that the +35 is a good size but i was looking at Cosmis MRII wheels and they only come in a 18x8.5 +22, what would the bigger wheel do? sorry for the newbieness, but I just want some really nice wheels like the MRII. Not sure of anywheels that are the 17x8 +48 that are the same style..

#9 ·
+22 is not enough offset, You will want to be somewhere in the +50 - +55 range.

As for them being 18x8.5 your pretty close to the stock width so the added rolling resistance wont be terrible, Keep in mind tires for an 18x8.5 will be more expensive as well.

#11 ·
spacers are the opposite.

essentially, higher offset brings your rim closer to the chassis, and wheel spacers push it away. also spacers are not road-legal in alot of places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.