need new brake pads. suggestions? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
need new brake pads. suggestions?

I am going to need new brake pads very soon, as I only have about 20% left. My rotors are still good, but I am contemplating the idea of going with 4 slotted/drilled rotors with the new pads. Anybody upgrade to that and notice much difference? If so what kind of rotors? and pads? To be honest the completely stock brembo set up is pretty impressive in my opinion. I plan on keeping the car only stage 2 and a daily driver. Just curious if you guys really think it is worth it to upgrade to drilled/slotted rotors? Thanks

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The advantage of slots or drills is heat dissipation which honestly if you notice any improvement from on your street car I would say you're driving like a lunatic. What you will notice is a substantial cut in lifespan of pads and rotors. So to review, for a daily driver the parts are all negative and no positive.

Pads, I'd recommend hawk hps. Make sure your lines are also upgraded.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Thanks for the quick reply. Yea I kind of figured there was not point unless your were to track it often. But, I won't be doing any of that so I'll just stick with OEM replacements.(which seems to be more than sufficient)

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
post #4 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
HPS are low dust stock replacement pads. I personally would recommend something more in the performance category. The Ferodos I'm currently running are the best bad I've ever used on any car and they still dust less than stock. As for rotors, whatever is cheap.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Granted, mine are no Brembos (06/07 WRX 4 pot/2 pot brakes), but I'm pretty happy with the setup I have on my daily driven Stage 2 WRX:

Hawk HPS pads all around
Goodridge SS lines
ATE Super Blue DOT 4 synthetic fluid
Stock rotors

Gets the job done, average/low amount of dust, and feels slightly firmer than stock. I keep debating whether or not I'd like a set of drilled and/or slotted rotors... on the one hand, yeah, they may dissipate heat better than stock/smooth rotors, but I don't track my car so that feature is useless to me. Honestly, I think I'd be more concerned about the little bits of rust that would probably begin to show inside all the dimples because I notice things like that. At this point, I'm thinking I'll probably just go with a set of cheap stock replacement rotors when the time comes... and another set of Hawk HPS pads

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea I'm leaning towards hawks on all four. My rotors are still good anyways so it would just be wasteful to get anything else.

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi