Subaru WRX Forum banner

Looking for some new rims

18K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  pjkolosha 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, just got a 2012 white STI hatch and I'm looking at some new rims that i can run my summer tires on. I'm interested in the XXR 522's and 527's. I would probably run a 25 or 30 offset but i don't know if i need to get spacers or extended studs, or if i can even run these rims on the stock struts. I'm not looking into getting coilovers or roll my fenders any time soon. Any advice? Anything will help. Thanks. also what would you guys say about the color of the rim? gold or chromium black?

#2 ·
1. Avoid XXR like the plague. They are unequivocally garbage. Every single XXR owner I have ever met has replaced at least one wheel and I've won money betting that cars coming into my shop with XXRs had at least 1 damaged wheel. You have a brand new $35,000 car, but you're only willing to spend $400-500 on wheels?

2. +25 and +30 are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low of an offset for Subarus. Depending on the size of wheel, which you did not state, you need to stick to offsets in the mid to upper +40s. Those offsets will negatively affect performance (and you don't need to be a race car driver to see the differences) and increase wear on various components.

#15 ·
That assumption was made by the fact that you said you had to roll your fenders for that wheel and tire setup. The combination you mentioned has plenty of room with no need for fender mods on a sedan as long as you aren't slammed to the ground. You can even run your average 245 tires without rubbing. Still, his GD hatch has a ton more room under the fenders. People have run 265s on 9" wheels without problems.

#16 ·
brfatal, I'm sorry but that's just not true. My tires bounce into the fender edge as it is and I have a stock 04 STi suspension with 255 tires at +48 on 17x8.5. Please stop spreading incorrect anecdotal evidence.

#20 ·
They would be 18x8.5 +44. I want to make the tire a little wider...but ill go with 235 or 245 is fine.

I was also talking to someone else and they recommended to get 17x9 +42 offset?
Any opinion on that?? Any help is appreciated.

BUT if none of those work what would u recommend?

#21 ·
The 44 offset may be ok. It's right on the line. Try to find some +48 to +52 offset

Unless you like a little of the stanced look?

Look at it this way, if you use the car as a street car ONLY.... The +44 should be ok. The farther you go from stock you will put unwanted stress on the car and not have the handling it should have.

#22 ·
Thanks man thats the exact answer i was looking for. But ya im just going to use it as a street/daily driver. Love subarus...before this one i had a 02 wrx wagon and an 07 wrx sedan.

If i decided to go with the 18x8.5 +44 would i have to do any fender rolling? Because i am going to lower it just a tad...maybe an inch or even less. Or do any camber work?

And is there any possibilities that i could go 9.5 instead or 8.5?

#25 ·
I understand but 44, 42, 38 arent that bad. I understand that the 08 wrx has an offset of 52. Maybe 38 is pushing it a bit but thats exactly why i seek the advice of someone that has more experience in wheels. The others maybe thinking the same thing as you but they still put their input in and try to help me out. Every person has their own opinion. So if you can post something that can help me out or anyone, great, but if not then keep your negative opinions to yourself.

#28 ·
There is no need to go anything wider than 8.5" on a street car. 9.5" on a street driven Subaru is redundant and complicates fitment. Your '08 has very narrow fenders and it will take work to get 9.5" +38 to fit and you'll be running tire sizes that fit better on much smaller wheels (which contradicts the reasoning for running wider wheels in the 1st place - to run wider tires).

Going too low on the offset can negatively affect handling, road manners, and long term reliability. The closer to the stock offset while still fitting, the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.