Subaru WRX Forum banner

Koni Sport Inserts + Swift Spec-R Springs

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks,
What do you think about pairing Swift Spec-R springs with Koni Inserts for my '04 WRX? It's a daily driver but I'm doing a collection of Nav Rallies, Auto-X and Time Attack events as well (5 - 6 per season).

I like that the springs don't lower the vehicle too much, because a practical ride height is one of the things I love about the WRX.

Koni Insert Instructions [some assembly required - NAISOC pics]
http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf

Swift Spec-R Springs
http://www.tougetuning.com/store/swift-specr-springs-20042007-subaru-wrx-sti-p-831.html

"...made for true track racing enthusiasts that wants to take their vehicle to the next level."

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The koni inserts aren't much better than the stock strut. I would stick with a more mild spring. If you want to push spring rate, especially if you want to protect ride height, the RCE black springs are probably the way to go.

#4 ·
Do they make the Spec-R for the 04' WRX? I only see them listed for the STI for an 04' unless they're still compatible for a WRX? There's a listing for the regular Sport Springs. Those are a 1.2" drop front/rear though! That's pretty agressive compared to the Spec-R at only a .6" - .8" for most Subaru applications. RCE does make their Black (regular guy) springs with a .6"F/.4"R drop. How aggressive you looking to go?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
The swift R are indeed aftermarket STi springs, not WRX springs. The Swift sport are junk, but are available for any year wrx or sti. Note the drop numbers listed by brandon for the R and the blacks are off of an 04 STi (same layout) so they'll be a little more on a WRX. The main ride height difference between the WRX (02-07) and the STi (04) is the front's about 0.5" lower.

The 05-07 STi uses a slightly different layout and is not directly compatible with the 02-07 WRX like the 04 STi is. Speaking of the 04 STi, if you want a well balanced option used 04 STi springs are a good cheap bet. You can find a good condition set for $50-$100 on nasioc.

EDIT: Remembered that the 04 and 05 STi struts are different but the springs are NOT. You can use 04-07 STi springs with the koni inserts.

#6 ·
The Spec-R is probably not gonna be an option OP. Maybe give them a call to see if they actually have a spring/shock setup that'll work for the WRX. And just know if you went with the RCE you'd NEED an aftermarket shock to make em fit. Something like a Tokico shock with spacers or 02'-03' top hats to make the springs actually work. RCE can help put a package together that'll work for you though. Not sure if Swift is as accommodating.

But besides Swift and RCE there's not a lot of options for "quality" springs IMO. I'd hit up RCE and have them get you fitted.

Or you could do Pinks like Mosc mentioned too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.