I Need Help With Tire Sizes (2012 WRX / OEM 8" Wide Wheels) - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I would add that an overwhelmed strut is basically a blown strut. They similarly fail to damp the bound and rebound of the spring. You don't need a strut to do any damping to drive safely. This however will be very bouncy and will not stop weight from shifting the tire out of contact with the road. Particularly on non-level surfaces this is disastrous to your grip. There are minor issues like additional wear on wheel and drive elements from slamming around without sufficient damping but for the most part, struts are about improving the performance of suspension from springs alone along with improvements in ride quality.

I am pointing that out because I've seen lots of guys with lowering springs on their car and stock struts drive around for tens of thousands of miles. They check their strut and they're not only dead, they never felt them go. They were not doing anything useful even when they still had some life.

EDIT: Some techincal notes. RCE blacks and yellows are for STi struts (or better yet aftermarket struts). There are now "RCE Regular Guy" springs, which are colored black but not the same as RCE blacks, that are specifically made for 09+ WRX struts. The spring rate is lower and the drop is mild but they're fairly balanced if the goal is maxing out the WRX strut. Thanks to Riot for pointing these springs out. Also, the D-spec struts are basically custom made. Turn In Concepts has some pre-made for the 02-07 WRX/STi but for the 08+, they need to be special ordered. Call them directly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 05-22-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
Wow! Thanks so much for the input from everyone! You guys already helped a great deal with the initial tire size discussion, and now I'm well on my way to choosing springs and struts.

I've been looking at the RCE options myself, and I think I'm in love.

I already have the following ready to be installed (some of the stuff was cheap and/or randomly asked for on my Christmas list, so I'm not sure if I will be installing everything):

Beatrush Forged Pitchstop Mount
Kartboy Short Shifter
Turn In Concepts Shift Linkage Bushings
Turn In Concepts Wide Shift Lever Pivot Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing
Beatrush Shifter Link Bushing
JPM Coachworks Shift Boot (Black Alcantara / Red Stitching)
JPM Coachworks Armrest Cover (Black Alcantara / Red Stitching)
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Cusco Steering Rack Power Brace
STI Group N Transmission Mount
Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit
GoodRidge Stainless Steel Coated Clutch Line
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front & Rear)
Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power Kit (KDT905)
Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power Kit Bushings (KDT906)
Whiteline Front Inner Lower Control Arm Bushing
DeatschWerks DW65c Series Fuel Pump
Dimple Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

On the way:

Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks
Eibach 25mm Front Swaybar / 22mm Rear Swaybar (Adjustable)
Nameless Performance Axle Back Muffler Delete Exhaust
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar Type II

Installed (easily a 20WHP gain with these parts alone... !Laugh!):

RallyArmour Mud Flaps
Cusco Short Antenna
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers Tires (245/40ZR17)

I had my new tires installed this morning and they look and feel great! I can't wait to drive home! I'll post pictures of how they look on the stock 8" wide WRX wheel when I get home. I thought the tires would be way too wide when looking at them off the wheel, but I think they are just right for looks and I'll give them a performance test on the way home (33 mile drive back up the mountain).

Thanks again for the input from everyone! I think I like it here...
post #18 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
My goal is to install as many useful bits as I can before I start with the motor. I want all of the surrounding suspension and chassis components (brakes too) to be rock solid and not be "lacking" or holding me back when I add power. I also feel, although I don't really know if it's true, that upgrading my mounts and reducing flex should allow power to be delivered to the wheels more efficiently and therefore any future horsepower gain will be "that much more" pronounced (whatever "that much more" means is currently beyond me).
post #19 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Hmu with a PM anytime you'd like some input or just to mix ideas OP. Glad you're part of the forum. Some pics would be nice 👍

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #20 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
I have no idea idea what's going on, but here's some pictures of how the tires look.

Name:  20130522_195109.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  20130522_195830.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  20130522_195242.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  20130522_195508.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  20130522_200957.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  70.1 KB
post #21 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
Gravity and the laws of physics in general don't apply where I live, as my pictures show.

How do I rotate attachments? These were taken and uploaded from my cell phone (Galaxy Note II).
post #22 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Those look perfect on there! Glad you're happy too.

You should be able to rotate them with your cell camera app though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #23 of 27 Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
The photos looked okay on my phone... meh, I'll figure it out later. Yeah the tires felt really nice too on the drive home.

Now I have to think about winter wheels and tires, or getting new summer wheels and tires when the Michelin's wear out and keeping the OEM wheels for winter... something like that. I kind of want 16x6.5 wheels for the winter with meaty rubber.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Juancho is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanJer View Post
The photos looked okay on my phone... meh, I'll figure it out later. Yeah the tires felt really nice too on the drive home.

Now I have to think about winter wheels and tires, or getting new summer wheels and tires when the Michelin's wear out and keeping the OEM wheels for winter... something like that. I kind of want 16x6.5 wheels for the winter with meaty rubber.
VaughanJer,

Its time for me to replace the stock rubber on my 2012 WRX and a quick google search got me here. I am considering the exact same thing (going with 245/40/R17 tires) and I am looking at Michelin Pilot AS 3.

Now with probably a few thousand miles on them, would you care to share your experience with the wider tire?

Thanks in advance!

Juan
post #25 of 27 Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancho View Post
VaughanJer,

Its time for me to replace the stock rubber on my 2012 WRX and a quick google search got me here. I am considering the exact same thing (going with 245/40/R17 tires) and I am looking at Michelin Pilot AS 3.

Now with probably a few thousand miles on them, would you care to share your experience with the wider tire?

Thanks in advance!

Juan
Juan,

I absolutely loved the setup. I say "loved" (past tense) because I actually just bought a set a Gram Lights 57DR wheels (18x9.5 5x100 +38) today and will need new tires again (265/35R18 this time around), and I've been running 2002 WRX wheels (freshly powder coated in Triple Bronze) with 215/55R-16 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires since winter came (also an amazing snow/bad weather setup). I've since sold my OEM 17x8 wheels, but still have the 245 tires that I bought for them due to the discussion in this thread.

Given my experience last spring/summer, I would definitely recommend going from 235 to 245 width if you're running summer performance tires with a stiff sidewall. A wider tire, or a tire that is the maximum size for a given wheel, can result in more flex and a squishy feel when making corners. This wasn't the case for me though. The improved rubber compound vs. the OEM Dunlop's is definitely a factor, and I strongly believe that getting a better tire played into my experience just as much as going one step wider. Everything seems to work really nicely, and I was extremely happy with the setup... extremely... zero complaints whatsoever.

I'm considering the same tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) for my new wheels as well.

Want to buy my 245/40ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport's?
post #26 of 27 Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Juancho is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanJer View Post
Want to buy my 245/40ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport's?
Maybe! How much are you looking to get for the set? Miles on them? I am in NC, so we would have to factor in shipping.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell your OEM wheels for? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thanks for the feedback and quick response!

Juan
post #27 of 27 Old 02-07-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VaughanJer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancho View Post
Maybe! How much are you looking to get for the set? Miles on them? I am in NC, so we would have to factor in shipping.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell your OEM wheels for? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thanks for the feedback and quick response!

Juan
I sold the wheels for $450 and I'd like to get the same for the tires... they were almost $900 brand new ($870 shipped I believe). I have no clue what shipping would cost for them though.

There should be definitely less than 10,000 miles on them for sure, but probably a bit more than 5,000. I can check the mileage on my invoice from when I got the tires mounted and compare that to the mileage on my more recent invoice from getting winter tires mounted. The difference should tell me exactly how many miles were driven between the two dates.

I live in Pennsylvania.