Subaru WRX Forum banner

H6 Upgrade ona Bugeye Question (physics related)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
from the various writeups on here, nasioc, and scooby moods, ive got all the know how and what not, but i have a question about the physics behind this upgrade.

it utilizes the same WRX caliper and pads but with the bigger outback/legacy rear disc via the rear mounting caliper bracket.

but since the pads and caliper are the same size as the wrx wont the contact surface of the brakes to the rotor be the same just on a bigger rotor? it seems the same force and contact patch will be applied to the rotor from the brakes.

i guess i need a quick physics lesson to understand why just a bigger rotor without bigger pads can create more stopping force. logic would dictate you need bigger pads to create more "clamping" force

i know i can get better pads and such. but for the questions sake, lets say everything is OE

if anyone can help me out would be awesome

thanks!
kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
Think about it like using a regular 6 inch ratchet vs. a 2 foot breaker bar (a bit exaggerated for sake of this argument). The longer lever-arm gives the force exerted further out more grunt. So not an increase in clamping force per se, but in the torque the clamping creates at the hub.

#3 ·
ahh gotcha thats makes perfect sense. since the pads are futher out on the rotor it takes less force to apply the same amount of brakes.

thanks! totally over looked that part. i feel silly now lol

#6 ·
all done! just thought i would share :)

theres a U-Pull it yard near me and i found an '01 legacy gt ripped these off - $11 each w/ clips and bolts
cleaned them up a bit before i put them on

i went with slotted drilled becuase there was a sale on and they were literally $5 more per rotor. otherwise i woulda went with blanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.