Subaru WRX Forum banner

First time with a subie.. I live in NY and need tires!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  clamer 
#1 ·
I just bought my 2015 wrx in July. It's snowing now and i'm sliding.. apparently I didn't know I had the low performance tires stock.. I just assumed it's awd so i'm good to go.

I hate reading through long forum answers.. any other 2015 wrx owners that have winter tires on or getting them? What size do I need? What tires did you put on? I don't really want huge bulky ones but I also don't want performance ones in the winter.

Thanks !

#2 ·
From what I see, it looks like the 2015 comes stock with summer tires. That's probably why your car has become a sled in the snow. I live in Kansas, so we can get some snow, but mostly ice here, and I'm usually ok on a good set of all-seasons. There are a lot of members here that like Blizzaks, I just am too cheap/lazy to buy a second set of wheels or change my tires every season.

Your stock size looks to be 235/45-17 based on what I see from tire rack.

Hope you find what you need!

#3 ·
Any WRX comes from the factory with a PERFORMANCE tire. You bought a PERFORMANCE car. While they have the awesome AWD a WRX isnt necessarily designed for winter. Get you some all seasons, or a dedicated winter set ( if i lived in NY i would try to have a set just for winter) with some blizzaks and your good to go!

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMH5V2GOHpA
this guy didnt know he had summer tires either lol

#5 ·
Any WRX comes from the factory with a PERFORMANCE tire. You bought a PERFORMANCE car. While they have the awesome AWD a WRX isnt necessarily designed for winter. Get you some all seasons, or a dedicated winter set ( if i lived in NY i would try to have a set just for winter) with some blizzaks and your good to go!
Any WRX? Ummm...From 02 to 07 they came with the worlds worst all-seasons known to mankind. (not sure about 06-07)

isnt necessarily designed for winter? What WRX did you buy? I can't speak for WRXes 08 and up but come on REALLY? I don't know about you but in my 03 with a set of blizzaks I am GOD of snow! >:D

One more thing...Anyone who recommends No-season tires for a WRX is driving the wrong car. I say No-season because they are a compromise in ALL seasons!:|

To the OP... What I did was put the tallest and narrowest snow tires that would fit on my stock rims and I got a nice set of rims with the 2nd highest performance summer tires that I could afford.
I know this sounds like a lot of money and I'm poor. So I got my snows in the fall of 04. By spring of 05 I saved enough money to get some nice summer rims & tires. I replaced my summer tires in 2011 and my snows still have a winter or 2 left in them. So having 2 sets really make them last, saving you money in the long run. ;)

#4 ·
Summer performance tires give great performance when temperatures are warm but are not suitable for winter.

In general, to maximize rated car capabilities performance cars come with performance summer radials and require winter tires for the winter.

This is not generally an issue because many performance cars are garaged for the winter, but because Subaru's are AWD they can still be driven all year around.

Best bet is to spring for a set of winter rims and tires and swap them as the season's change. You'll have a higher performance setup in the summer and the winter compared with vehicles running all-season radials.

Cheers,

#7 ·
Keep in mind that there are high performance winter tires and high performance snow tires. If you drive on dry roads in the winter like I do, you might be better off with something like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D (or 4D now). If you drive on roads that are actually covered in snow frequently, you might be better off with a set of Blizzaks. Either one will perform much better than summer or all season tires in temperatures under 40 deg. F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.