Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wrxnh 
#1 ·
HI guys, so I have a question. I have an bone stock 12 wrx and I was wondering does anyone know how the car sound like if I take out the resonator?

#3 ·
Yeah I played around with straight pipes, muffler deletes and exhaust leaks on the 2013 hatch and all of them sounded great. They were all also very loud and they all sounded great.

If you want to hear what the car will sound like with a delete you can try pulling the bolts in the flange connecting the muffler to the midpipe and adding a handful of stainless steel washers to the bolts holding it all together. I tried that instead of buying a muffler delete and after adding .5 inch washers to those bolts I essentially had an exhaust leak the size of a straight pipe. It was exceptionally loud and it sounded great but it was also too loud to be comfortable driving through a neighborhood at night. Made me glad i didnt pickup a straight pipe.

If you talking about pulling the midpipe and resonator I personally like the rumble from the resonator. I never understood why guys pulled resonators other than that the sound is more raw and m,ore pure. Resonators help to remove high pitched tones and other mettalic noises that I think make the car sound cheap. Just my .02 cents.

#6 ·
The "rumbling noise" comes from unequal length headers not a resonator. The resonator tunes the sound much like the slide on a trombone. Its position and size affect the sound.

#8 ·
Went straight pipe myself this last Friday. After install sounded great until I got on it an the metal noise came in. Used a video probe to find my resonator is damaged. Guess I will be replacing that soon.

I agree with Artic. Just leave in the resonator or find a good aftermarket one an do a muffler delete.

#9 ·
With my '13 I went from Nameless muffler delete (LOUD!) with stock everything else. Recently did Stage II catless DP. I have the new Varex muffler coming in so I'll pipe that from a shop with 3" tube down to the DP going straight pipe finally.

Resonator delete I know sounds raspier is from what I understand. I'd go with the muffler delete first. Just take off your muffler and you'll know what it sounds like :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.