Subaru WRX Forum banner

Dipped DZ Wheels

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Eldwin 
#1 ·
My buddies DZ wheels weren't looking to good anymore due to severe clearcoat and rot issues. So I told him we should dip em' to which he was more than willing. Seeing he has no painting skills I quickly got sucked into that one lol! I'm a spray bomb junkie though so I was all about it. Here's a few pics. The wheels are curing so I'll post some more of them on his 350z when they're dry. I think they came out pretty good!

What they looked like before Cancer...
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke

Dipped Black...
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#3 ·
What do you mean? Like the clear coat will lift under the dip? I was easily able to sand or blow off most of the clear coat with an air line and chuck, but around the small screws that simulate a 3 piece wheel there's still some there. That going to be a problem? Everywhere else on the wheels were sanded and stripped, primed 2 coats, then dipped 3 coats.

#4 ·
It'll def never be peeled off again to the original paint, as the clear coat is WAY to far gone if that's what you meant. I primed them for him so he can peel it and easily re-apply a different color at any time without having to worry about base again. This was the very first thing I've ever dipped though. Strange product to say the least. Def not for a novice painter if doing anything other than a flat panel of sorts that's for sure!

#5 ·
Although I'm sure they look a whole lot better than before they were dipped, I personally don't like the finish of black plasti dipped wheels. I think they would look better with a smooth, shiny finish. They look sort of faded or "weathered" but not necessarily in a good way - maybe it's because the tires are so dirty? Maybe they'll look better mounted on the car with some type of tire dressing... I don't know. I can't believe I'm spewing so much hatred toward black wheels and I have a set of black wheels myself :poorme:

#6 ·
I 100% agree on the dip for all the same reasons! I'd personally never dip anything on my car after seeing the finish, unless it was to test color only. Prepping and painting them would've been horrendous though with all the rot, and the finish around all the fake bolts would've looked bad with attempting paint. I recommended dip instead of paint to him because it goes on thick and would hide a lot. Needless to say he doesn't exactly treasure his car like some do...which is fine...just saying lol! And he also mentioned he wanted them flat black so I immediately thought of dip. We also stripped his tires that's why they look so bad. Had to do it so the tape would stick. I got it accomplished with zero runs though and from what I heard doing a set of wheels with dip is not for the novice painter...to which I'd agree!! Def a lot different than paint. Zero protection unless they're cleared and made basically permenent, a 5 out of 10 IMO for finish, and a headache with application to say the least = FAIL lol!

With no tire shine though....
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Nissan 350z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.