LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
Continental Extreme Contact DW

Continental Extreme Contact DW
UTQG: 340 AA A (All Sizes)

Click here for:Sizes, Specs, and Pricing on Continental Extreme Contact DW

The ExtremeContactTM DW has pushed the envelope in performance with completely new technology exclusive to Continental Tire. The ExtremeContactTM DW delivers excellent traction and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions, improved ride comfort, all while delivering better mileage at industry leading rolling resistance levels

Benefits:
*Enhanced performance in dry conditions.
*Improved water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.
*Reduced distortion for enhanced energy delivery, lower rolling resistance and improved treadlife.
*Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers to tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions
Tread Wear Indicators:

Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers about tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions.

DW indicates tire is tuned for optimum performance (D for Dry, W for Wet).

When indicators disappear, tire is no longer tuned for optimum performance in that particular road condition

Dry Performance
ExtremeContactTM DW has a unique “chamfered edge” technology for dry performance. This dry road surface technology generates greater acceleration grip, handling and braking traction in dry conditions. Solid outer shoulder and chamfered pattern edges concentrates on a maximum surface contact, resulting in increased traction.

Wet Performance
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has high void to tread ratio which improves water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.Void to tread ratio means the amount of void area in the tread vs. the amount of tread pattern making contact with the road surface. This void allows water to be absorbed into the pattern and then quickly evacuated.

Dynamic Temperature Distribution
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has industry leading treadlife combined with lower rolling resistance and improved energy delivery to the road surface. This outstanding combination of traction, long wear and reduced rolling resistance is accomplished thought “Dynamic Temperature Distribution”.

(content provided by conti-online.com)

If you are running the Continental Extreme Contact DW, post your review here along with a picture or two - we (as well as Continental) would love to read them.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!

Last edited by DiscountTire; 09-01-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountTire View Post
a new Ultra High Performance All-Season tire
I am confused a little here... I thought the All Season was the DWS and the DW was summer only.

Continental's website does not claim the DW as an all season:
Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -ExtremeContact™ DW

but does for the DWS:
Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -ExtremeContact™ DWS

Anyway, you guys sell both at a good price but just wanted to make sure anybody interested in an all season went after the DWS not the DW.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
hey Mosc.....what kind of tire do you run during the winter. I'm just trying to find a decent all weather tire that wont suck too bad in the snow.
#4 Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Garage
I really recommend a winter tire for the winter, not an all season. Winter tires are not all snow tires. Many of them use all season tread patters except the compounds are more appropriate for cold weather. To me, temperature is a very important reason to have 2 sets. Tread compounds designed to handle a variety of temperatures (all seasons) handle none well. Cold weather tires are not all crap on a dry road, especially on a cold day. All seasons will get very stiff below freezing, snow aside.

That said, I use a performance winter tire. Not a dedicated snow tire. Bridgestone LM-25. Don't buy those though, they're being phased out.

#5 Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Supporting Vendor

DiscountTire is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I am confused a little here... I thought the All Season was the DWS and the DW was summer only.

Continental's website does not claim the DW as an all season:
Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -ExtremeContact™ DW

but does for the DWS:
Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -ExtremeContact™ DWS

Anyway, you guys sell both at a good price but just wanted to make sure anybody interested in an all season went after the DWS not the DW.
Whoops :eek: Typo! Edit made to the OP.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
#6 Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
soo any real world people out there with this? i was looking at the RE-11 but the price and weight are throwing me off. plus i dont think its a long life tire. i came across this and the weight is so light and the price is awesome. however i heard it has a soft side wall for a smoother ride. my problem is running a 255/35/18. im afraid the 35 plus a soft sidewall will be trouble for my wheels.

could anyone compair this to the RE-11?

really looking for good grip! i like to drag race. im coming from the Dunlop sport 01. its my DD so looking for a good tire in rain and last something that gets some good miles.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#7 Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 AM

Garage
The Continentals are not even in the same league as the RE-11. The bridgestone's you're talking about are about as much grip as you can get out of street legal rubber. Beyond that, you'll be looking at things with compound that need to warm up to grip and are really pure race tires. The RE-11 and it's ilk are designed to be driven to the track, used, and driven home. A tire like the DW continental is a performance oriented street tire. It's not designed for track use.

It really matters on what you intend to use the tires for. The two are apples and oranges though in terms of comparison. Good mileage would point you towards less aggressive tires and away from extreme tires like the RE-11. Also, drag racing in an AWD car, your tires won't much matter. If you start making enough power where they will, you sure as hell won't want street tires. True drag rubber is a totally different animal with sidewalls designed for flex and thick center bands for stability. Totally different from a tire intended to turn.

#8 Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well since draging will only be a few times a year I'm more interested in a street tire. So longer life and good for rain. By what tirerack says the DW does everything top notch! For a 3 lbs drop in weight I'm pretty sure I'm going with the DW.

#9 Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Garage
Grip differences are far more noticeable that weight differences. 12lbs of unsprung weight on a car with a stock-ish suspension is going to be totally transparent. I still wouldn't get the RE-11's for full price because of their cost per mile (they don't last long) but discounting them because of their weight is crazy.

#10 Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

true about the grip difference. but the DW's are rated for pretty good grip. the survey numbers are almost all 9+. but like you said they dont last long so thats my biggest discount on them + the weight and price.

also weight is a big thing for me. lol and i have changed my mind AGAIN haha.

my wheels showed up and on my crappy scale there in the 18 lbs range!!! so if the stock wheels are 23.5 lbs, thats a good loss in weight. as for my wheel selection i just noticed the DW's have a 245/35/18. i have picked this for 3 reasons 1.) the diameter will be 24.8" which you said is a good drag racing size 2.) there only 21 lbs and not 23 lbs like the 255/35/18 and 3.) they will fit a little better because the 18x8.5 with 44 offset is so big to begin with on my stock fenders and setup.

weight should be 7.6 lbs per wheel.

#11 Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Garage
sounds good. +44 and 245 you may have some slight rubbing on your rear fenders. Might have to round them out underneath to clear when you hit some bumpy road...

The other tires in that size and class to look at are BFG KDW2's. Not sure which is cheaper or weighs less. All tires in 35 sidewall are going to be expensive. The KDW2's are exceptional in the wet and have a stronger center band for stability but may be a little more rigid and a little louder than the DWs as well.

EDIT: KDW's are 25lbs in that size (stiff sidewall adds weight). Another choice is the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 at 22lbs and probably a good bit more grip than the DW's (tirerack says they're cheaper than the DW's as well)

#12 Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ill look into them.

and is up with tire prices? is it like the stock market? every time i go look at something the price changes. the DW 255's were 206 a few days ago and now there 216. the 245's were 166 like 2 days ago and now there 182. kinda hard to know when to buy.