Coilovers + Wheels - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoostinChick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

MikeInORL is an unknown
Coilovers + Wheels

I drive a stock 2013 so I've tried googling and searching and so far this is what I've come up with.

I was planning on lowering it maybe an inch or two, and have plans on getting new wheels for the car as well. Currently looking at 18's.

So far all i've come up with while searching for coilovers are that they need to be rebuilt every so often, and to go expensive to get quality. BC coilovers from what I hear are a no no. Is this correct to assume?

My plans for the car are maybe the strip and auto cross as well as this being my daily driven so I was looking at adjustable ones so I have that option available. As far as brands this is where I get completely lost and feel like its all preference? With my budget being 1k or lower is this a bad mindset for price?

Any suggestions? Looking for a comfortable ride (Stock is a bit to bumpy on the highway) but is very smooth.

As for wheels I see terms used like wheel gap, offset etc. Can anyone break down what I need to look for while buying new wheels in lamence terms?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInORL View Post
I drive a stock 2013 so I've tried googling and searching and so far this is what I've come up with.

I was planning on lowering it maybe an inch or two, and have plans on getting new wheels for the car as well. Currently looking at 18's.

So far all i've come up with while searching for coilovers are that they need to be rebuilt every so often, and to go expensive to get quality. BC coilovers from what I hear are a no no. Is this correct to assume?

My plans for the car are maybe the strip and auto cross as well as this being my daily driven so I was looking at adjustable ones so I have that option available. As far as brands this is where I get completely lost and feel like its all preference? With my budget being 1k or lower is this a bad mindset for price?

Any suggestions? Looking for a comfortable ride (Stock is a bit to bumpy on the highway) but is very smooth.

As for wheels I see terms used like wheel gap, offset etc. Can anyone break down what I need to look for while buying new wheels in lamence terms?

Thanks in advance
$1k is not a reasonable coilover budget. The current generation WRX/STIs are unfortunately more expensive when it comes to coilovers that work well than older GD models. You're going to be spending $2,000 for something decent. Unless you're planning on racing at a competitive level, I would say coilovers are poor investment. You're buying redundantly adjustable suspension that will never be utilized to it's fullest on public roads and is less reliable than good springs. Most people can't even out drive good springs. If you are autocrossing every other weekend, then they would be money well spent.

What are you looking at for wheels?
#3 Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
+1 on just sticking with springs. I recommend either Swift or RCE depending on what you want for a drop. Stay closer to a 1" drop though and save yourself the future headaches IMO.

With wheels just stick to the below and you'll be fine. Although if you narrow down on wheel brand/models we can help with further detail regarding fitment.

8"-9" wide
53-40mm offset tops!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#4 Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Would have to disagree with you on that one, brfatal. There are a few options for coilovers under the $2k range that are good even for competition level -

rallyracingsuspension.com - Feal 441 Coilover kit (many applications)
^ Uses Swift springs and you can have them do a custom spring rate. Have a buddy who installed these on his 08 WRX Hatch and loves them.

KW Coilovers Variant 1 inox-line Subaru WRX 2008-2013 10245015 at RallySportDirect.com
^ I have these (got them cheaper from FAST), and they are amazing. They even offer linear conversion kits.

P.S. Coilovers and "very smooth" don't really go together...if you are looking to be lowered and a comfortable ride then you are more looking into air ride type suspensions (bags).
the RIOT act likes this.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#5 Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

MikeInORL is an unknown
Perfect this kind of feedback is what I was looking for. Ill start considering springs but will for sure look at some reviews of the linked coil overs.

Right now and pretty sure I'm going to stick are the Gram lights 57DR. But I did see some different specs like EX. (8x10.5 5x114 + 22) Any chance I can get a breakdown to these numbers?

I think ultimately I'm going to go with 18's.

But honestly autocross every weekend doesn't sound like me. Sure ill do it but not to often as of yet.
#6 Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
18x8/8.5/9/9.5 = Wheel width. You can go with 18x8/18x8.5/18x9 for a DD but nothing narrower or wider IMO for you.

5x100 = Bolt pattern. Any wheel you're considering HAS to have this number!

+45 or et45 = Wheel offset. Optimizing this for any said car has to do with wheel width as well.

Find a wheel you like between +53 down to +40 with the above stated bolt pattern and within the widths I mentioned an post its full stats. I'll give my opinion on finer fitment details once you do.

#7 Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

MikeInORL is an unknown
Rays 57DR 18x8.5 57DR 18x8.5 +38 5x100 Semi Gloss Black Wheel

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding a 18' will have more so grip than a 17' along with deciding factors like type of tire etc. but essentially the more rubber the more grip correct?

say vs RAYS Gramslight 57DR - 17x9.0 +35mm, 5x100
#8 Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Garage
So the wheel width considered is going to kick you out of the wheel well by about 6mm. So you'll go from a stock 53mm offset down to a 47mm offset just in wheel width.

There's about 11mm from a stock offset on an 8" wheel to the edge of the wheel well.

So if you go with an 8.5" wheel you then have about 5mm to play with in the offset of the wheel you want before you go past the fender edge.

So if you go with anything below a 40mm offset on an 18x8.5" wheel you're going to be outside the fender with your wheels/tires.

If that's the look you want then go for it. Just know that anything lower than a 40mm offset you're setting yourself up for a long list of headaches due to performance/drivability cons and prematurely worn parts.

So IMO, stay above 40mm on an 18x8.5" wheel...to make a long story short lol! Hope I explained this well. Things are hard to explain with offsets/widths and things don't always come out the right way.

#9 Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Garage
[/QUOTE]Please correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding a 18' will have more so grip than a 17' along with deciding factors like type of tire etc. but essentially the more rubber the more grip correct?

say vs RAYS Gramslight 57DR - 17x9.0 +35mm, 5x100[/QUOTE]

The wheel width will allow for a wider tire...which allows for more traction. Whether a 17" or 18" wheel WIDTH and the wider tire that can go on said wheel makes the traction.

#10 Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

MikeInORL is an unknown
That actually helped a lot thanks as I do appreciate it. I just have to decide what I want as of now as this size will work but may cause some problems. Gives me something to think about. Thanks! +rep good sir!
#11 Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
Would have to disagree with you on that one, brfatal. There are a few options for coilovers under the $2k range that are good even for competition level -

rallyracingsuspension.com - Feal 441 Coilover kit (many applications)
^ Uses Swift springs and you can have them do a custom spring rate. Have a buddy who installed these on his 08 WRX Hatch and loves them.

KW Coilovers Variant 1 inox-line Subaru WRX 2008-2013 10245015 at RallySportDirect.com
^ I have these (got them cheaper from FAST), and they are amazing. They even offer linear conversion kits.

P.S. Coilovers and "very smooth" don't really go together...if you are looking to be lowered and a comfortable ride then you are more looking into air ride type suspensions (bags).
Feals are revalved BC coilovers. Even BC does custom rates and valving, but this is only applicable if you understand enough to know what to ask for. They are of course better than the off-the-shelf BCs, but they still are subpar to what you should be getting if you're willing to throw down a good amount of money. The KW V1s are great starter coilovers, however there are additional costs involved that you didn't factory in. They don't come with any top hats or camber plates. That will bring their cost to the $2,000k budget I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInORL View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding a 18' will have more so grip than a 17' along with deciding factors like type of tire etc. but essentially the more rubber the more grip correct?

say vs RAYS Gramslight 57DR - 17x9.0 +35mm, 5x100
Neither of those setups are good. You need to keep the offset (the +"xx" number) as far north as possible. For an 8.5 to 9" wheel on your car you should be sticking in the +45 to +55 range. If you go lower you're going to see a good bit of performance loss. Reduced steering response, reduced steering feel and input, increased effort in steering, reduced tire contact patch, increased tramlining, and accelerated long term wear and tear on everything between the steering rack and the hubs. You want to stay as close to the stock offset as you can for a given wheel size where you are still able to maintain enough space to clear the struts.