Subaru WRX Forum banner

Coilovers or air ride for 2015 WRX

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Not sure if I want coilovers or air ride to lower my 2015 WRX. Opinions please

#3 ·
Personally, I would never use air ride on anything except a strictly show car or weekend cruiser. I know a guy that bought air suspension for his sti and is already getting rid of it a few months later. Oh yeah, I also work on air suspension almost on a daily basis. Heavy duty applications though.

#5 ·
Air ride setups can be fun for show cars but if you plan on driving the car as anything but a daily driver I would go a different route. For great performance without breaking the bank you might want to look into a performance strut/spring setup. Proper coil overs are very adjustable but proper adjustability comes at a price thats wasted on a daily driver. Unless you are adjusting your coil overs every week for Saturdays track conditions I would suggest struts/springs.

For a show car - do whatever looks the coolest. Air ride looks cool and gives your a ton of height adjustability. Depending on what wheels you have on your show car you might want to consider that air bags are not as visually appealing as colorful coil overs but they do give you more options as far as ride height. A proper setup even it makes it easier to jack the car up and get it on your trailer without the fear of scraping your front end.

For a Weekend Track car - Performance struts and springs along with anti-sways and bushings go a long way towards getting your weekend track car in a good spot. You can keep the ride height a bit higher and they will be much more fogirving that a set of performance coil overs. With the money you can save on air ride or coil overs you can easily upgrade other suspension components and maybe even pay for a track day or 2.

For a dedicated track car - Proper coil-overs give you great adjustability but expect to deal with a harsh ride on public streets. That and expect to spend about the same amount on decent coil overs as you would spend on air ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.