Check your spare tire lately? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check your spare tire lately?

Today, as I was doing my more thorough end-of-spring/early-summer car cleaning, I happened to check my spare tire. I actually have never had it out of my car, so I'm just happy it was there. Anyway, it was at ~35 psi and it should have been at 60. Just throwing out a friendly reminder to everyone to check your spare tires and maybe those of people you care about. I'd hate to see anyone get stranded out there. (This thread should be stickied)

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I was leaving work a while back and a friend of mine had a flat tire and i stoped to see if he needed help and his spare was like at 25 psi which was only about a half mile from a gas station to where he could put more air in it. luckily it wasn't in the middle of nowhere.

Ive used mine as well and i was fortunate enough it had enough as i haven't checked prior to that.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I remember checking my spare tire when it was new and it had 60 psi. I haven't checked it since and I've had the car about 2 years now and it's lost about half of the air it should have had. It's one of those things that should probably be checked at least yearly (along with your smoke detectors I guess). That's actually not a bad way to try to remember it. Anyway... hopefully this post will help someone. I'd love it if somebody brings this thread back from the dead in the future and writes "I read that post and I filled up my spare tire and when I needed it, it was nice and full and got me where I needed to be." That would just make my day.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Every car that comes into my work gets a safety inspection, and one of the things on the list is to fill the spare. I'd say 8 out of 10 have less than 20 psi in them.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
I keep a 12V pump in the trunk of every car I own. You should still check your spare to ensure it is not leaking or damaged.

I can top off my tires anytime with the 12V pump.
#6 Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Anybody want to throw out a link to a nice cheap 12V pump? I haven't found one I like that's not big bucks.
#7 Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I got a super cheap flashlight/airpump for like 20 bucks. Surprisingly never broke. Took forever to fill the air, and its built in gauge was inaccurate. But it worked like a charm and goes up to like a 100psi.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I was just at the gas station trying to re-fill my tires. Pushing to 36psi took 2 minutes per tire. I can't imagine using something like that to get to 60psi.
#9 Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I was just at the gas station trying to re-fill my tires. Pushing to 36psi took 2 minutes per tire. I can't imagine using something like that to get to 60psi.
Wow the gas station must have a pretty crummy air compressor. My 12V compressor is faster than that.
#10 Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fall 2010 Reminder

With colder weather right around the corner, now is a great time to check the air in your spare tires.

The last time I checked mine was about a year and a half ago. I just checked it today and it was about 20 psi low. Now it's back up to 60 where it should be

John
07 WRX
#11 Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
lol i don't even keep a spare in my car anymore. Maybe I'll get back into that habit. It would be nice to have trunk liner again.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#12 Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hahaha.. any particular reason you removed it? Saving weight, I presume?

This might be a stupid question, but does the spare tire that comes with the STi fit around the front Brembo calipers? It would be a royal pain if you had to put the back tire on the front and put the donut on the back to make it work... just curious.

John
07 WRX