Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brembo brakes upgrade for my 02

21K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Hai Dao 
#1 ·
Getting the parts next week or two weeks from now ..please confirm if I got this right.. thanks!

Brembo calipers STI 04-05
Rotors 04-05
Kartboy brackets for rear calipers

#3 ·
Calipers are the same 04-17. Rotors are different. You need 04 STi rotors as titter said.

You also have to deal with some other stuff if I remember correctly, the emergency brake? It's been a while since I had that 04 WRX...

#5 ·
Im about to do the process myself whats to be noted about the e brake? Im doing a whole drive terrain swap right now its pretty intense but feels beastly just got the old 5 speed out now moving to remove the rear diff, hubs everything and else attached to go into 5x114 with brembos as well, i want to make sure that i dont miss little stuff like that haha

thanks for the correction .. yeah my problem is the rear brakes can't seem to find a clear procedure how to do the conversion

#7 ·
if your getting the katboy bracket the procedure is very simple.

1) bolt on bracket
2) bolt on caliper
3) enjoy

with this kit all you will need is the calipers
http://www.fastwrx.com/products/rear-brembo-dba-slotted-adapter-kit-02-05-wrx

make sure u get the Brembo adapter and not the FHI adapter (for the 4/2pots). they are different adapters.

copied from fastwrx.com
Some installation details: You'll have to chop/drill/snip off or bend your factory dust/splash shields; they're too small for the new much larger rotors. Also, if you have a Legacy, the rear spindle will have to be clearanced using a Dremel or other grinding tool to make room for the caliper bolts.

Kit includes two rear brake rotors, two caliper mounting brackets, and hardware. Fits all 2002-05 WRX, 2005-2009 Legacy GT, and 2002-2008 Forester XT.

#8 ·
thanks again bro!

I decided to hold back with my brembo project for 3 more weeks ..i'll do a rear diffuser install this Monday then Fmic project next next Monday after that i'll do my brembo swap :) My hybrid engine i'll probably mount it by oct. my boss still wont approve my vacation leave :(

#9 ·
Oh also while your swapping brakes anyway you might as well invest in some quality brake fluid. Makes a huge difference as far as heat fade and pedal feel. ATE and Motul make some great fluids just be sure your swapping them regularly as racing fluids absorb water faster.

#10 ·
if you havent bought your brembos yet, you should instead go for FHI 4/2 Pots. you'll save yourself some of money.

without diving into a massive physics and math lesson, i will say that they give you virtually the same amount of braking force as the brembos on a stock setup. most of the braking force a person feels if from pedal feel. most people think that the initial bite of the brakes is all the force they get, when infact this is false. if the two cars weight the same, have the same brake fluid, same brake pads, and most important, same tires, then the 100-0kph(60-0mph) test will be virtually identical. a good set of pads, stainless steel lines, and good fliud, is all you need to improve your brakes.

to decrease your stopping distance (which is a completely different scenario) you need better tires

#11 · (Edited)
#13 ·
oh ya wheel clearance. you'll be able to fit 15" rims over FHI 4/2 pots. great for rally, drag racing, winter tires...etc. brembos will limit your choices due to their size.

#16 ·
okay a change of plan once again ..looks like i'll be doing my brembo upgrade 1st before my fmic project... failed CA smog test today no big deal I was told I need to drive my car for the next 150miles for it to be ready for the final test inpection.. its stupid for me to install the fmic when I have a current smog issue lol! so i'll do my brembo 1st ...ill post some photos once I'm done :D

#19 ·
okay so I did my brembo upgrade today the front was not that hard to do and it looks great.... then I started working on the rear brakes drilled the dust cover and guess what? yeah the e brakes wont work because of the larger rotor .. now i did some research again i'll need a thicker brake shoe in order for the e brake to work ..which so far the only supplier I can find that makes this thicker brake shoe is from United Kingdom it will take some time for this to be delivered and its expensive.. anybody knows a US seller?

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
you just got the wrong rear rotors thats all. dont use them so you can return them for the right ones.

you need 316x20 sized rotors with a 170mm parking brake drum. you must have got the 316x20 with a 190mm parking brake drum. subaru make both, just go get the right ones.

316x20mm (5x100, 190mm parking brake)
316x20mm (5x100, 170mm parking brake) <---- you want this size
316x20mm (5x114)

There are multiple versions of this disc. just bring a measuring tape and get the right size if the years dont match. obviously dont bother with the 5x114 size.

#22 ·
to be honest, i not sure which is from which. it might be a EDM/JDM/USDM thing? my research tells me they are both from 04 STI. hence why i suggested bringing a measuring tape.

im seeing talk of DBA making a rotor this size. but still cant find the OEM setup. i think its JDM market since the V7 and V8's had 5x100 bolt pattern and brembos. but thats just a guess.

#23 ·
I ordered an 04 STI rear rotor but yeah its 190mm I just measured it .. I can not return this anymore had a shipping issue with the seller .. I don't want to deal with them anymore.. my only option right now is really to look for that thicker brake shoe ..I already found one here in the US ..KNS brakes its called Oversize park brake brembo conversion... but it cost $200 :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.