Brake Replacement - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Brake Replacement

So I took my car to the dealer for an oil change and they found my breaks need to be replaced. The rears are at 2mil and the fronts are at 8mil. Clearly they need to be replaced, but the dealer quoted me $450 per axel. This seems really high to me as I can buy the stoptech upgrade kit from rallysport for 525ish. Is $900 high for a brake job or are wrxs just that much more to work on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The brakes are as easy as any car with disk brakes. Even for a klutz like me they're a pretty easy job.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Dealerships are getting outta control lol...that's a ridiculous price man!

Doing pads is only x2 bolts and if doing rotors too it's only another x2 bolts, all of which are very easily accessible. Now is def the time to swap those brake lines out too, so that StopTech kit seems quite fitting for the situation. I'd personally see if they'll do cross drilled rotors with the kit though instead of slotted. I'm sure they will. Neither of which you or any DD would need but if I had to choose between the two I'd def go cross drilled instead of slotted.

Don't forget new fluid while you're at it! If you're not comfortable bleeding brakes then install everything else and have a shop simply swap your brake lines and bleed the system for you. Should cost no more than $120 in labor to have that done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #4 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Subaru brakes are easy

YouTube it

Last edited by Vew; 09-21-2013 at 12:34 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yet another example of where you can save a good bit of money by working on your own car...

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 17 Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw1es View Post
So I took my car to the dealer for an oil change and they found my breaks need to be replaced. The rears are at 2mil and the fronts are at 8mil. Clearly they need to be replaced, but the dealer quoted me $450 per axel. This seems really high to me as I can buy the stoptech upgrade kit from rallysport for 525ish. Is $900 high for a brake job or are wrxs just that much more to work on?
The rears are the only ones that need replaced at 2mm. 8mm is more then half way new being new pads are at 12-14mm. Think pads are around 50-60$ oem pads are atleast. And the rotors most likely can be turned. At the dealer ship I work at that would cost you around 150 in labor and maybe another 75 in parts. It pays .5 for pads which is around 50$ and 1.5 for the rotor turn. Which is 110$. Seems like the dealer price is way crazy. Maybe shop around or do them your self there really straight forward.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks for the help! After about 40 min an YouTube I'm pretty sure I can do the pads and rotors myself. I don't have the tools or the experience to replace the lines so I'll have those done at a local shop. Due to a cash flow issue I may have to do it in stages. How bad is it to upgrade one axle (rear first) at a time? Riot, why do you suggest drilled rotors? Don't they have a tendency to crack easier? I definitely don't really need them, but I would like to upgrade them.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Drilled rotors are pointless IMO.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Like I said, both cross drilled and slotted rotors are pretty pointless for a DD. But seeing their kit comes with rotors there's nothing wrong with running em either.

Slotted rotors are gonna eat pads faster whether on a DD or track car, so if it's a strictly DD application this is just brake pads being melted away for no real reason. You def don't need the added stopping power unless like 350hp+ IMO.

Cross drilled rotors do have a tendency to crack (very rarely) under track conditions, although for a DD they'd be more than fine. And although not using the rotors in a condition where better ventilation is TRULY needed...like a track car, there's nothing wrong with better ventilation and reduced heat to a rotor no matter what application they're being used in.

And lastly, if you're on a budget with things and the full kit isn't something you can swing, just forget the rotors all together. Get yourself either some StopTech or HawkHP pads, some StopTech SS lines, and swap your fluid out. You don't need cross drilled or slotted rotors, and unless your getting vibration while braking in either the steering wheel or seat of your pants you don't need rotors at all. Not buying rotors will allow you to do what you really need, which is what I mentioned above, and also allow you to do the front AND back all at once.

And if your budget is even tighter than that, simply do the rears now and fronts later. I'd recommend swapping lines all at once though. But if you're only doing pads, lines, and fluid like I mentioned above you're prob only looking at around $350 and that includes labor. I'm guessing that's at least something you can swing though....

post #10 of 17 Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Ok, so as much as I want to think my car is a track beast lol it sounds like replacing the rotors with standard ones is my best bet. And then upgrading the pads. I would only have the lines done at a shop because I don't have the tools required. I would have them both done at the same time. If I'm paying someone to do them ill do both to save labor costs. Yea, 350 is much better than the 900+ the dealer wanted

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks for all the help riot!

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5

Last edited by Vew; 09-21-2013 at 12:35 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
So I figured while I'm in there changing pads it may be a good time to paint the calipers to prevent them from rusting further. Any suggestions on types/brands of paint that would do the job? I don't really want to use spray paint as I will get it everywhere.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
post #12 of 17 Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Spray paint is the only way to go man. Anything else is gonna look horrible. It's not a big deal though. The caliper bracket will already be loose and easily paintable if you're doing rotors, and just use an old sheet inside the wheel well. Won't take you long to tape off the brake line to caliper connection then just cover everything else with a sheet and have the caliper hang with a simple bungie or clothes hanger from the wheel well.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Brandon, would you recommend high temp spray paint?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #14 of 17 Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I knew I would have to spray them, oh well I'll just mask the entire car lol any suggestions on color? My wrx is black, so I was thinking to just paint them a glossy black or go all out and make them red lol.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
post #15 of 17 Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw1es View Post
I knew I would have to spray them, oh well I'll just mask the entire car lol any suggestions on color? My wrx is black, so I was thinking to just paint them a glossy black or go all out and make them red lol.

I'd say do your brackets matte black and calipers either red or silver IMO. Whichever color you're going to use for an accent color...