Blown shock. Upgrade? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Blown shock. Upgrade?

I just blew my front drivers side shock. I know, I know, it was the springs. I was expecting this and waiting for it to happen to upgrade the shocks. With that being said, what's the best shock to pair with Tein springs. I used to use the Tokico Blues with Eibach Pro combo on several Hondas I had in the past. I know, Subies are not Hondas, but I never had a problem with Tokicos, anyone have experience using Tokico shocks with Tein springs? I've searched around and can't seem to find any shock upgrades? Coilovers are not an option right now. Anyone know of any vendors, websites, etc? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The only non-stock struts I even know of that's compatible with your car are Bilsteins, and those are going to run a pretty penny.
#3 Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Contact the guys over at Turn In Concepts (google them) and shoot them an email or phone call. They are pretty knowledgeable about all things suspension related to subies. They should be able to help you out.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Thanks for the input guys. I searched around the Web for Bilsteins and didn't come across any for the 2009 WRX, I saw one website that had them for the 2009 Subaru Legacy Spec B, do you know if they're interchangeable? I sent an email to the guys over at Turn In Concepts, hopefully they'll reply soon.
#5 Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
GT-works by Bilsteins are the ONLY shock setup for our cars and should only be paired with there RCE black or yellow spring (racecomp engineering). the black is said to be -5mm height and the Yellow -15mm. someone with the yellows has reported after a few thousand miles a 1 inch drop in the front and 3/4 in the rear. this setup will kill any another and is the only setup for our cars. the price will run about $1300-$1400. the BC 8k/8k coilover kit is only $999 and is also great for our cars as it is a full race coilover that can be tuned for street or track.

the best cheapest option out there is the Koni inserts. therefore it is not a shock setup. you cut your stock struts and insert the Koni into your housing. it is adjustable dampening unlike the Bilsteins and can be had for $650 shipped!! you can ride soft like stock or hard for the track. again i would only pair with the RCE Yellows, get rid of the Teins!

Import Replacement Parts | Import Performance & OEM Parts

RaceComp Engineering Online Store

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/