Subaru WRX Forum banner

better brakes

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey guys, its time for me to replace my brakes for the first time on my WRX and I was wondering what some other owners have read on or thought about slotted brakes? Are they any better ? I am a spirited driver who loves a occasional drive up the coast and mountain driving, but no track time, this is my daily driver . The specific setup I was looking at was the Stoptech Powerslot Slotted Front & Rear Rotor Set with the cyro option that supposed to make the rotors last longer and the pads I was looking at was the Hawk Performance Ceramic setup. I dont mind paying money for something good but I am not rich heh heh so please let me know some thoughts on a minor brake upgrade (ones that wont warp like the OEM ones that are on there now) .

#3 ·
#6 ·
Stay away from ceramic. They generally arent street friendly pads. They have to be heated up to "operating" temp before actually grabbing/stopping the car. I went with DBA rotors and Feredo pads, but havent had the chance to test them since my car is in Chicago and Im still in Iraq for a few more weeks. That was recommended to me by a few of my tuner friends/shop owners.

#7 ·
#8 ·
HPS = low dust OE replacement pads

There is nothing sporty about them. Also, you're overhyping the HP+ warm up thing. I run Ferodo DS2500s, which are more aggressive than HP+s and even cold they will bite harder than any Hawk or EBC pads I've ever had on the car. There is nothing 'un-street friendly' about those pads.

#10 ·
yep thanks for the info guys ... this is my daily driver and so i was interested in something better than stock and yea i dont like the idea of heating up my brakes . i think i will go the DRT route but i am going to research the ferodo and hawk more for the pads , i want the best of all worlds lol long lasting, good bite , no dust lol i have too many spokes to clean :(, but i know its the choose two out of three route lol not all three

#13 ·
^WTF:confused:

Btw, I use EBC Reds which are ceramic and carbon mixed. They work great at all temps for me. I will need some new rotors after I get through those pads though. Its not like I'm driving a F1 and the brakes don't work unless I do a hot lap first. Yellowstuff I'd be more worried about on the street. I will have to look into those Feredo pads though. !Thumbs Up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.