All Season or Winter tires??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
All Season or Winter tires???

So winters coming up and ill have to be swappin out my rota rims out for my stock ones here soon but I don't know what to wrap the stock ones in cause my tires are shot. Now I use my car for my work car and I drive roughly 200-350 miles one way, twice a week. I chose the wrx cause of the all wheel drive for the winters (and the fact I've wanted one for a while... hah) so I'm not sure which tire to go with. I'm afraid that the winters will wear out too quick cause not everyday will have snow on the road when I drive those long drives. I'm also afraid that the all seasons won't perform well when it is that one day its super snowy and crappy. I'm just not sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you have "summer wheels" and use your stockers for winter, then winter tires should be fine. You won't be commuting on them 365 days a year, just however many months you have snow. There are decent sets of all seasons that are rated for winter as well. Check out Continental ExtremeContact DWS. It has a treadwear rating of 540AA which should stand up to your commute.

These are winter tires I read a lot of people using on their Scoobys:
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#3 Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
Ya I've got my rota's for summer and stocks for winter. I do hear a lot about blizzaks and I've really considered them but I just don't want them to be needing replaced after a winter or two, that's why I was thinking all seasons that are geared a lil more towards snow. Ill check out those continentals
#4 Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You shouldn't consider for a second an all season tire to use only in the winter.

First off, there are plenty of performance winter tires. Winter tires are designed to work when it's cold, all seasons are designed to work in any temperature range. When it's cold, the compound for the winter tire is just better in all ways. Not just when it snows. Not all winter tires are snow tires.

Second, winter tires last just as long as all season tires. In fact, all season tires wear poorly when it gets cold, especially high performance all season tires. You will probably get twice the mileage out of the LM-60's vs the DWS's just to pick the two mentioned in this thread. The reason winter tires are replaced more frequently is because tires intended to be driven in the show should be replaced at 6/32". All seasons are often replaced at 3/32". They'll suck in the snow but people keep them far longer. For winter use, an all season tire at 3/32" when you expect occasional snow is NOT GOOD!

Third, lets talk about how much all seasons suck. They're basically made for a huge temperature range and have varying degrees of ambivalence towards snow. Something like the DWS's linked here which is an UHP AS tire are terrible when it gets cold let alone snow. The compounds are made to be decent when it's warm and even designed with occasional and brief race-type use in mind. That means they deal with heat. There are no rubber compounds on earth that deal decently with heat that don't turn into hockey pucks below freezing.

Buy some cold weather tires. Don't think of them as winter tires. Buy tires that are good when it's cold. Since you don't need to run them in the summer, an all season would be a poor choice. Leverage the summer set you already have by buying a tire to use only when it's not hot.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Another good high performance winter tire to consider is the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D - I have a set of those in size 205/50/17 on my stock 17x7 wheels.

I used to rock a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (ultra high performance all season) tires year-round, and they weren't quite as bad in extreme weather as mosc made them out to be, although I did notice a drastic improvement in cold weather traction with the winter tires and warm weather traction with the summer tires. If you like to drive aggressively when conditions permit you to do safely, you'll be really happy knowing you have excellent rubber under you.

You already have two sets of wheels, so that's half the battle. If you have the means now, get a set of winter tires for your stockers and save up for a good set of summer tires for your Rotas when the weather warms back up next year. You'll thank me later

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I run LM-25 blizzaks which they don't make anymore...the new tires are the LM-60s. But, this is going to be the 3rd winter on my LM-25s. They look like new when I put them away...but I will measure the tread depth when I pull them out in a month or so. Plus, winter tires will help a lot in snow. Nothing will help out in ice beyond salt and warm temperatures. Just remember my winter quote: "AWD can't fix stupid." But, decent winter tires will have a better chance of getting you through anything if you're not driving like a fool.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Something like the DWS's linked here which is an UHP AS tire are terrible when it gets cold let alone snow. The compounds are made to be decent when it's warm and even designed with occasional and brief race-type use in mind. That means they deal with heat. There are no rubber compounds on earth that deal decently with heat that don't turn into hockey pucks below freezing.
That's very interesting. I actually run the DWS on my Evo IX year around and they handled amazing last year when we were hit by those 2-3 large snow storms in PA. Have had them on for just about a year now and that car gets driven daily.

- Sandra
#8 Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Garage
Two points
1) AWD does nothing when your foot isn't on the gas pedal. It may be obvious but it needs to be said. Good winter tires often far exceed the benefits of AWD in the snow. Combine the two for best results
2) Be careful with tire reviews. They're often anecdotal. People may only get a set or two of tires for their entire ownership of a car and even then, they may change tire side. X tire on car A shouldn't be compared to Y tire on car B. Also, tires in different sizes can behave differently even on the same car.

#9 Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Mosc you just went into a scientific explation of "AWD doesn't fix stupid".

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^I vouch for that

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
This may be somewhat off subject, but don't most people choose a skinnier tire when going with a winter set up? So let's say stock is 215/45-17, would it be better to get 205/45-17?

- Sandra
#12 Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ Always wondered that myself... Good question... Totally on topic too

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Garage
The idea with skinnier tires is the weight will be distributed over a smaller area giving greater penetration in deep snow. Narrower tires are also less prone to hydroplaning. I say these two specifically because a narrower tire is a very purpose-chosen thing. It is overused. If you are in a snow race, you want narrow tires. If you are driving in Pennsylvania which sees like 3 snowstorms a year, you want a more well rounded winter tire. I would stick with stock tire diameters for winter choices on a subaru unless you expect to drive through deep snow more than once a year. Deep snow meaning > 3 inches ON THE ROAD.

#14 Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deep snow over here is like anything >.01mm.

Thanks Mosc.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Ah, thanks for debunking the theory for me. I am currently shopping for winter tires as well and wanted to know whether or not to go with a skinnier tire. Will stick with stock sizing.

- Sandra