Air Lift Performance - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

boostandlow is an unknown
Garage
Air Lift Performance

So I am about purchase a sport air suspension from Air Lift Performance. It has been described as having the same characteristics as the KW Variant 2 coil suspension... has anyone considered doing anything like this for performance?

I would be apt to buy the digital combo setup shown here : Subaru Impreza/ WRX 2002-2007 | Air Lift Performance

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would like to purchase this today no later then 4pm EST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think you might be the first member of this forum to install an air suspension system. I'm interested to follow your build, so please keep us posted.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
4k? Geezus.... You could get a nice set of CO's and some additional suspension parts for that....

Whatever you think... I'm with John

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well I made the plunge. Kit should be here in 2-3 weeks I'll keep you all posted. It is super easy to I stall. Was told it takes about 1hrs less then a full coil over system

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#5 Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Not sure how that works. It will take longer than a coilover install. Keep in mind that even though it's adjustable, you need to pick one ride height and stick to it. Otherwise you will ruin your tires.
#6 Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The ride height plays next to no difference in the wear and tear on the tires. This will be my third vehicle with the air ride never had that issue before. You do however, need to have your alignment done when you set the camber.

With this new digital setup, it auto selects preprogram heights and adjust the vehicles camber appropriately.

If you would like, I'd be more then happy to show you the diagram for the install. Its the exactly same setup as doing a coilover. The only difference in this setup is bolting down the compressor and wiring it up. Which on my last vehicle took less then 30minutes.
#7 Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostandlow View Post
The ride height plays next to no difference in the wear and tear on the tires. This will be my third vehicle with the air ride never had that issue before. You do however, need to have your alignment done when you set the camber..
You are wrong unfortunately. Lowering the car from where the previous alignment was done not only increases camber but also toe in. Both can affect tire wear, more-so the toe.

The reason for the addition time over a regular coilover install is exactly what you mentioned. You're still installing 4 damper assemblies and having to do additional compressor and wiring installation.
#8 Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just to add, the rear will toe out when dropped IIRC....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Gah, sorry. You're right. I meant toe out.
#10 Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
It took me 6 hours to do the air ride in my M3 took me almost 7 hrs to install my KW V2. Again. I have pre-set ride heights and have never in my life seen an irregular wear pattern.... maybe i swap my tires out too soon to notice?