Subaru WRX Forum banner

2017 WRX - Strange Brake Pedal Vibration

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  gtbigup 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I just picked up a 2017 WRX 6-speed. My 2005 WRX is still in the garage, to be up for sale soon. I drove the 2005 off the lot brand new, so I've had quite a few years behind the wheel of a WRX.

The dealership where I purchased the car has a policy that they don't allow test drives on the WRX models, you have purchase the vehicle first. I have to admit, now in my 40's, this seemed like a mighty strange policy. Fortunately, I had already test driven a 2017 at another dealership. On to the issue.

On the way home with the new 2017 WRX, I'm feeling brake pedal vibration/chatter on very light braking, when the brakes are *barely* engaged, at slow speed - it almost feels like there is gravel in the rotor (something I experienced once with my 2005). When I hit a bump at the same time, and maybe even turning a bit, it feels like the brake AND clutch pedal are loose, and I can hear a light noise of what reminds me of loose brake pad clicking. When I pulled into work the other morning, I put the front right wheel up onto the sloped driveway entrance, and when it tweaked the car, a loud "bong" came from the front right of the vehicle, like the spring just seated itself. Over some bumps, the front end has that feel like a link or tie rod is starting to wear, that ever so slight clunk and extra feedback in the steering wheel.

With the car running, and stopped, not in gear, I can abruptly press the brake pedal and hear some obvious noise of something engaging incorrectly for just a second - I can repeat that over and over.

My primary concern is heading to the dealership only to find folks who don't feel this is a serious issue, or just can't find anything wrong. I had this same thing happen with a rear end clunking noise in my 2005 that I identified just 30k miles in - the dealership wrote it off to standard noise (not before incorrectly diagnosing it as a loose spare tire, that I had already removed) - I drove it like that for over 100k miles when a small town mechanic found that the rear trunk latch was just loose (!!!).

Anyways - any advise here on how to best way to approach dealerships when a guy's brand new Subaru has a problem, would be much appreciated. I'll post back after Saturday - hopefully with good news. I'm a long time WRX owner, and this new vehicle is fantastic in so many ways, just so disappointed with the brake issue.

:(

See less See more
#2 ·
you have a brand new car under warranty. take it to your dealership for service. if you dont like one dealership, try another, and yell louder. tell them is a safety issue and you fear for your life, rick of accident, liability on subaru... yadda yadda. also tell them how poorly you were treated at the other dealership. they'll usually treat you better as they'll want you as a customer instead.

#3 ·
Thanks. I'm hoping the friendly approach works first, and they just figure out what the problem is. I did ask that we drive one of the other same WRX's currently on the lot so that I can see if it exhibits the same behavior. Anyways, hopefully this forum post starts a record of this issue in the event it surfaces on other 2017 models.

#4 ·
1 thing to keep in mind is that your brakes need to be bedded in. Even non performance compounds benefit from a bit of aggressive stopping when they are still new. I noticed that there was some grit to my OE brakes on my new 2017 but after finding a nice open patch of asphalt ( to test body roll ) i ended up puting a few smooth but agressive stops on the pads and they smoothed right out. There was always lore about needing to meld your pads with your rotors so they get to know each other, makes the bond stronger etc.

As for the other noises. I expect the new car to settle in a bit and a few clunks here or there are to be expected. If they continue then absolutely take it to a dealership and replicate the problem with them. I always find that driving around with the tech can give them more insight thn just telling them something is making a noise. Also i always try honey before vinegar. I think you will have better results if you are nice to the service manager but if they are yanking your chain dont hesitate to tell them that you feel in danger because of the problem.

#5 ·
Also i always try honey before vinegar. I think you will have better results if you are nice to the service manager but if they are yanking your chain dont hesitate to tell them that you feel in danger because of the problem.
Agreed. No sense in making a master tech's Saturday morning ugly, it's hot enough as it is.

I've already bedded the pads in, this is something different. I'm starting to wonder if the chatter is coming from a faulty ABS system.

#8 ·
Well im sorry that its in your head. I might suggest swapping out the brake compound with something a bit smoother than the OE materials. Lots of the performance brake companies offer a quiet street pad with some extra oomph when it counts. They tend to have better road feel as well.

Actually I just made that swap with my 2013 and the only grip I have is that the clutch pedal feel really soft, forgiving maybe. Do you notice that your 2017 clutch feels soft as well? Ive compared it to a 2015 and its definitely softer and more forgiving than the older my15 models.

#9 ·
Oh, heck yes, the new clutch has a nice long sweep, with an even [and very light] pressure through it's whole sweep. The 2005 has a very stiff clutch in comparison.

There is a click about half way through the clutch travel on the 2017 - I assume that's the clutch switch/sensor.

I guess I'd like to hear from anyone else with a new 2017 that thinks the brake pedal/front end has a strange vibration/loose feel to it. I was able to get the salesperson to recognize the issue in the other 2017 on the lot, but there really wasn't anything he could do about it.

#10 ·
On the clutch sweep that click is the cruise control sensor. I think it also acts as a clutch depressed sensor to reset the gear indicator on the dash.

As for the brakes mine feels pretty good, nothing gritty or odd about the way mine feels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.