Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 WRX HATCHBACK tire replacements

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Okay so here is the thing I need advice on tires, since I need new tires because the ones I have are going to die soon and I will not pass the state inspection that Texas has. I am aware I have a performance vehicle, but I don't have a load of money to purchase the ones that are being recommended by the dealer, which are the BridgeStone Potenzr RE760. I am driving the stock wheels that came with the car Dunlp SP sport 01 size 235/45 R17. I am comparing the following options below, but want to know if I should look into something else.
I am a lost Subie driver who is in dire need of advice.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to our forums,

I was in a similar position when I started wearing down my stock Dunlops. One think to keep in mind is that a car is as good as its weakest component. If you buy cheap tires your car will not feel as grounded or as stable. Cornering will suffer as will wet performance and road manners. In texas I would look for a extreme or max performance summer tire with decent wet rating for the occasional thunderstorm.

I choose the Continental Control Contact DWs, They have decent wet performance for a summer tire and they performed above their price bracket in many performance categories. There is a consensus that the best daily driver tire for parts of the world that dont get alot of snow are Michilin pilot super sports. they typically go for about $175 per corner but they perform very well in most conditions ( obviously if you live somewhere with lots of snow a dedicated snow tire/wheel set is recommended)

I am very pleased with my Continentals because they fit in my budget and they have a really long rated treadlife which means an equally long warranty period. Americas Discount tire will prorate tires based on their rated tread life so when I wear them out in 30k miles I can essentially replace them for half price : )

Hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.