2012 wrx sedan Wheel and tire help - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
2012 wrx sedan Wheel and tire help

Damn that Rex looks nice! But most definitely you'll be rolling fenders for that kinda look lol! Not a big deal though. Tons of shops do it these days.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Herra Frush

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
ghost911 , that car is dropped close to 2" in the front. It probably rubs when he turns the wheel let alone when he hits a bump.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
I want a kinda of a stretch nothing major. And I don't want to much either because its not good for racing from what I hear, which makes sense.

Also I seen this set up on a guys car already same exact car as me lowered. Only issue I would need to know if rubbing would accure. His ride has those specs and lowered about an inch.. I'll get picture and post it

He's tucking tire. That's far more than an inch. It's slammed.

9.5" +30 is still VERY aggressive even with wider GV fenders. That offset is entire too low and the wheel is still redundantly wide and this will affect the handling of the car beyond just 'race track driving'.

That car as setup has coilovers set up to remove all suspension travel in order to prevent rubbing, as anything and everything will cause it to hit otherwise. The ride in that car will be atrocious.

Please don't ruin your car like the owner of that car did.
#20 Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Garage
I would wager a school bus has a tighter turning radius than that guy does as well...

#21 Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I would wager a school bus has a tighter turning radius than that guy does as well...
That's fn funny right there bwhahha,

Yeah I definitely do not wanna ruin my car that's for sure.. so now that we know what I'm trying to get as looks.. what should I go with as specs on rims and tire specs, I'll be drag racing and great for turning corners at fast speeds..And still have perfect handling. because I wanna get it right the first time

And thank you guys for your opinions, I am taking them to the heart.
#22 Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

Garage

Alright, so if you're asking for my opinion if it were mine...I'd do the following.

I wouldn't recommend anything wider than a 9" wheel if you wanna go 18's, and stay right around a 40mm offset. If you went with a 18x9 or 18x8.5 I'd still utilize the same tire size which would 245/40R18. That's only a 1.52% difference in overall diameter which is the most important thing to remember. You absolutely want to stay within 3% or there will be big problems! But the 40 series will still give you great track and DD riding, and the wheel width/offset should put the wheels close to the edge of the wheelwell which is where I personally like them.

I'm sure these guys will also have some good recommendations.

#23 Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Garage
you should buy shorter than stock tires, not taller. You should buy wider than stock tires, not narrower. Wheel width's only purpose is to run wider tires. The more offset you can find, the better. Room for your spring to move (ride height) is an important component of your suspension's basic design.

In other words you're doing it wrong and if you want to do it right, your car will look far closer to stock than it will to that guy's car.

#24 Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Garage

Seeing he's going with 18's it's gonna be hard to get the OD under rather than over. He could certainly go with a 35 series but that's gonna be a rough ride lol...

#25 Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
You saying I should go 17 "s? And wider width?x9? +40 offset all around
#26 Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

Garage

9" is as far as I would go personally. But 18's are fine. It'll def be the way I go when I upgrade.

#27 Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Alright well I have a buyer for my tires and rims so I really need to buckle down on what I need. Need all your guys"s help on a final answer on what to get. And again I wanna do it right the first time. Sooo.

Selling my stock rimes/tires all brand new 1100$.. to this guy.

So what should it be? Remember I want flush but still great for turning corners and racing no rubbing at all..

"Little stretch?"

17x9 +40 and what tire size ? "WHAT TYPE OF TIRES SHOULD I GO WITH, WHAT BRANDS TO STAY AWAY FROM'
18x9+40 and what tire size?
18x8.5 +40 and what tire size?

If lower off set then what should it be? I love deep dish especially for this car.

Thanks again for all ## opinions .
#28 Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

horrorbiz is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
Alright well I have a buyer for my tires and rims so I really need to buckle down on what I need. Need all your guys"s help on a final answer on what to get. And again I wanna do it right the first time. Sooo.

Selling my stock rimes/tires all brand new 1100$.. to this guy.

So what should it be? Remember I want flush but still great for turning corners and racing no rubbing at all..

"Little stretch?"

17x9 +40 and what tire size ? "WHAT TYPE OF TIRES SHOULD I GO WITH, WHAT BRANDS TO STAY AWAY FROM'
18x9+40 and what tire size?
18x8.5 +40 and what tire size?

If lower off set then what should it be? I love deep dish especially for this car.

Thanks again for all ## opinions .
Well if you want a little stretch go with a 235/40 tire(stock size) on a 17x9 as the stock wheels are 17x8. The slightly smaller height will result in better gearing for the WRX...

Tire Rack has some good tire tests: Tire Test Results : Testing the New Extremes of Extreme Performance Summer Tires