2002 WRX Brake Job essentials - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

wolfrider is an unknown
2002 WRX Brake Job essentials

Greetings,

My 2002 with 85k miles on it is starting to show signs of needing brake work (pedal oscillates a bit when braking at high speeds).

I have the help and tools to change the brakes, but wondering what replacement parts you guys recommend? I'm not looking to soup up my setup at all really, just get some solid quality parts on there so it stops fast when I need it to.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Pulse in the pedal would indicate that your rotors are warped, and should be replaced. I have always used OEM spec rotors from who-ever has them cheap. O'Reilly's usually sells Raybestos ones for under $50 a piece.

For pads, I like the Axxis ultimate compound, which I get from import replacement parts.com for about $42 for fronts. They are a ceramic pad that stands up well to high temps (track and mountain driving) and don't chew up rotors or produce a lot of dust. I use the same for the rears, but will have rear rotors turned of they are within spec.
#3 Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
My personal setup right now:
Hawk HPS pads
Goodridge stainless steel lines
ATE Super Blue fluid
Stock Rotors

No complaints really. Average amount of dust and great/solid stopping power. Definitely a noticeable improvement over stock. I don't track my car, but for a daily driver, I'm sure it's more than I need.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

wolfrider is an unknown
Thanks for the answers. I've spec'd out the parts. About $75 for each rotor at O'Reilly's, and around 120 for the pads. I'm doing this at a friends garage, so I'll probably just buy a set of rotors and then replace them. Tempted to have the rears turned down if they are within spec, but that would take a couple hours extra with the car on the jackstands, where bad luck could easily do more than $150 if something happened.

Any ideas what to do with the old rotors?
#5 Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrider View Post
Any ideas what to do with the old rotors?
Set them aside for now and take them to a metal scrap yard to be recycled the next time you go... might as well make a few cents on them since they're sort of heavy instead of just throwing them away.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Just something I picked up in experience. If you're changing your break fluid this is my advice. If you use the brakes enough to warrant the use of Dot5 fluid OR don't mind changing your fluid more often then by all means use it. But if you're a person that is just daily driving with some spirited driving and/or don't care to change your brake fluid once a year, stick to what Subaru recommends.

Dot5 like ATE Super Blue is more hygroscopic than your average brake fluid. Meaning, it will get contaminated faster. I realize brake fluid is hygroscopic to begin with. People may have different experiences as I have. I changed both the WRX and the Outback (left over fluid) at the same time. The WRX is still fine and the Outback is in desperate need of a fluid change.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#7 Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Good call. Since I put about 25-30k miles on my car every year, I'll probably end up changing all the major fluids about once a year (every 30k). I guess that means ATE is good for me.

Also, last I checked, ATE Super Blue is DOT 4, not 5

John
07 WRX